Alexis Sanchez sent a short message to Manchester United fans on social media last night.
He also posted a short video explaining why his time at Old Trafford failed, explaining that he did not feel at home from day one.
Sky Sports reported Sanchez said: “Sometimes there are things that you don’t realise until you get there, and I remember the first training session I had, I realised a lot of things.
“After the session I got home and I told my family and my agent ‘can you not rip up the contract to go back to Arsenal?’. They laughed, I told them there’s something that doesn’t sit right, it doesn’t seem good.
“But I already signed, I was already there. After the first few months I carried on having the same feeling, we weren’t united as a team in that moment.”
Sanchez’s comments are insightful into how the dressing room appeared fractured under Jose Mourinho.
His arrival on high wages clearly appeared to add fuel to the fire, with his poor performances failing to justify his salary.
Sanchez’s comments were mocked by former United defender Rafael da Silva, a former Premier League winner under Sir Alex Ferguson.
Rafael posted on Instagram: “Maybe he saw a ghost and got scared that’s explain why he play so bad every time”
Mourinho must of course take flak for failing to get the best out of Sanchez, as should Ed Woodward for signing him to exorbitant wages.
But the rest is on the player. He was too injury prone and lacked the spark he showed at his previous clubs.
Sanchez began to show improvement finally at the end of his loan spell for Inter Milan, leading to the Italians agreeing to sign him permanently.
Thankfully this allowed United to get his wages off the books. He is Inter’s to deal with now.
- Mata’s impressed Solskjaer in training: Could he resume van de Beek partnership tonight?
- Manchester United loanee Facundo Pellistri returns to Alaves training after injury
- Solskjaer says United believe Will Fish could be a star
- Three things we want to see in Paul Pogba’s Amazon ‘Pogmentary’
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Granada
- Manchester United fans react to Jude Bellingham’s Champions League performance
- Three key questions as Declan Rice to Manchester United rumours grow stronger
- Brandon Williams will fancy his chances of rare game time for United tonight
- What channel is the Man Utd v Granada Europa League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news