Attempting to establish what might happen over Raphael Varane’s future is not easy. Manchester United fans have long suspected the defender would renew his contract with Real Madrid.
Last week The MEN claimed United had submitted a £50 million offer for Varane. This was not accepted.
Real reportedly want more, and in any case, they are not ready to make their mind up yet. Nor is Varane, who is expected to decide his future in July, after Euro 2020 has finished.
A report from Spanish newspaper El Confidencial last week also wrote that Varane’s preference is to join Paris Saint-Germain. The Mirror countered this at the weekend, claiming Varane is open to joining Manchester United.
So it is all rather confusing. What we do know is Varane could be on the move, and United are in the mix. So too are PSG.
PSG active in discussions
A new report from Footmercato claim PSG have held talks with Real Madrid. Not Varane’s agents, but the club itself, to express interest.
The report says PSG sporting director Leonardo has spoken to Real and ‘the Madrid response has been rather positive, at least from a Parisian point of view’.
Real have confirmed to PSG they are open to selling Varane. What the report does not state, is a potential price. But it shows they are willing to do business.
At this stage with two top clubs like PSG and Manchester United pushing, and Varane potentially increasing his value at Euro 2020, there is no reason for Real to simply accept the first offer which may come their way.
PSG are one of the few clubs with the financial capability to outbid United. They also have the obvious connection of being a French club which may tempt Varane, where he would reunite with Les Bleus teammate Kylian Mbappe.
Paul Pogba is at Manchester United, but for how long? If Varane signs, potentially the midfielder could be persuaded to sign a new contract. But they could simply unite in Paris in 2023 if Pogba heads there on a free transfer and Varane goes there this summer.
If United are successful in signing Varane, it is clear a move will not be straightforward. It would have been helpful amid the report Varane was keen on PSG if they held no interest. But the opposite is true, and they want to sign him up.
This is why is is extra important United manage to close the Jadon Sancho deal as soon as possible, so the club can put extra focus into Varane.
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad
- Sergio Ramos and Marcelo congratulate Raphael Varane on Manchester United move
- Manchester United friendly at Preston cancelled
- Rafael criticises Glazers’ failure to communicate with United fans
- Raphael Varane’s last appearance at Old Trafford was a painful one for Manchester United
- Who is reported incoming Manchester United youth addition Ethan Ennis?
- Harry Maguire and Juan Mata react to Donny van de Beek wearing the captain’s armband
- Barlow completes move to Doncaster after a year out of the game following United exit