Predicted Manchester United XI v Tranmere Rovers
United on paper have an easier FA Cup tie against Tranmere this weekend than if it were Watford.
The fixture certainly gives manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer a little more freedom to rotate his options.
There are players at United who need games, Eric Bailly and Diogo Dalot, who we expect to start.
Solskjaer told the club’s official website that Victor Lindelöf is available after missing the game in midweek.
Lindelöf has played alongside Bailly before and it is likely they will be the pairing at the back, giving Harry Maguire a rest.
Brandon Williams will also likely be rested at left-back for Luke Shaw to come in.
Midfield and attack
Ideally it would be the case that United rest both Fred and Nemanja Matic. But it’s probably only practical to leave out one.
Matic has to play away at City in midweek so we expect the 31-year-old to be dropped for teenager James Garner to come in and start.
He has performed well away at Partizan, and will be able to handle Tranmere. Experience in the EFL Trophy earlier this season will also help the teenager.
Tahith Chong was part of a United side which lost to Tranmere in the trophy in December, but he was the star of the show, scoring twice. The young winger has a chance to start at Prenton Park again and show what he can do.
While we would like to see Angel Gomes start, this is a game Jesse Lingard could get the nod in. His only assist this season came against lower league opposition against Rochdale.
Dan James needs a goal to lift his confidence and it is possible United put him in as a starter this weekend to try and break his goal drought.
On the bench we will likely see Gomes, and possibly Timothy Fosu-Mensah and Ethan Laird.
- Manchester United reignite interest in 20-year-old who cost £4.5m and scored against the Reds last season
- 26-year-old ace shows what he could bring to Ten Hag's Manchester United with match-winning cameo
- 25-year-old ace who reportedly wants Manchester United move has 3 assists in 2 games
- £70m superstar shows Erik ten Hag what he's missing at Manchester United with dazzling display
- Report: 'Furious' Ten Hag orders Manchester United flops to report to Carrington for extra training session