Predicted Manchester United XI v Liverpool
Manchester United head to Anfield this weekend hoping to end Liverpool’s long unbeaten home run.
It’s hard to know whether Ole Gunnar Solskjaer knows his best team already or is having sleepless nights over who to pick.
United have a three point lead over Liverpool and could extend that to six with a victory.
Which formation does he choose?
United have three options. One is to go with a 3-4-1-2, as he did home and away against Liverpool last season. But this could be a bit too negative considering the home side’s defensive problems, and also limits United’s options in midfield.
Another is to go 4-2-3-1, Solskjaer’s preferred formation and the one we chose against Burnley in midweek. This again restricts United in midfield and means one of Paul Pogba, Fred, and Scott McTominay will have to miss out. Also, the front free has not clicked yet and United may be just as dangerous with two up top.
So most likely could be a diamond 4-4-2 formation which gives the team balance. The reason against this could be that there is little protection out wide to stop Liverpool’s attacking full-backs.
Who will be in?
Paul Pogba’s impressive midweek performance should have forced his way into United’s line up for this weekend.
It had previously seemed likely Fred and Scott McTominay were being saved for this one. Playing a four-man midfield enables United to get all three in with Bruno Fernandes.
United’s back four should pick itself, hopefully with in-form Eric Bailly keeping his place in central defence alongside Harry Maguire.
Alex Telles is an option at left-back although Solskjaer has shown a preference for Luke Shaw in recent weeks.
Up front United’s best front two could be Edinson Cavani and Marcus Rashford. Cavani could be the ideal striker to take advantage of Liverpool’s defensive problems, with Anthony Martial dropping to the bench.
United’s bench would have Martial and Greenwood as attacking options, and potentially Amad Diallo too.
Out: Martial, Matic; In: Fred, McTominay
- 'Tremendous': Manchester United's first signing of the Ten Hag era speaks in glowing terms about his new manager
- Cristiano Ronaldo staying one more year would suddenly be a hard sell to Manchester United fans
- Star says Manchester United transfer is dream move, wants to work with Ten Hag for years
- James Garner sends message after first training session under Erik ten Hag
- 3 Manchester United players who will improve without Cristiano Ronaldo
- Ralf Rangnick may have already told Manchester United fans the reality of the Ronaldo situation
- Manchester United have just pulled off the signing of the summer
- Star is Manchester United's next in line to replace Ronaldo, and there's a big question
- 19-year-old has reportedly impressed Erik ten Hag in Manchester United training
- Manchester United target says he is 'just like' Ballon d'Or winner, learned everything from Ten Hag