Photo: Teden Mengi joins Manchester United first team training
Exciting youngster Teden Mengi has been included in Manchester United’s first team training sessions for the first time.
The outstanding centre-back was pictured at Carrington and posted on Instagram that he was ‘glad to be back on the grass’.
In addition to this shot, he uploaded a picture of him competing for a ball with Tahith Chong and Victor Lindelof (click the arrow on the right below).
Mengi is United’s under-18s captain and he made the breakthrough to United’s under-23 side this season too.
He is a talented player who is strong in the air and calm on the ball, being clever and quick to anticipate danger.
Mengi’s emergence is one of the reasons United may not need to sign another centre-back this summer, considering the strength in depth alrady at the position with Harry Maguire, Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly and Axel Tuanzebe.
With the under-23 season cancelled, Mengi’s season is not necessarily over.
He is part of a group of players along with Largie Ramazani and James Garner, who have been keeping fit with individual and small group sessions, with the aim of being ready if needed.
While it may take an unwelcome injury crisis over the next few weeks for Mengi to see action, it speaks volumes how highly United consider him, that he is already mixing it with first team stars.
The 17-year-old’s debut is likely to come over the next 12 months. It is just a matter of when.
- Casemiro flight to Manchester, twist in £80m star's future, awful Glazer plan
- Luka Modric reacts as Casemiro move to Manchester United confirmed
- Real Madrid confirm Casemiro sale to Manchester United in emotional statement, and announce tribute plan
- Raphael Varane reacts as Manchester United announce Casemiro deal
- 3 reasons £59.7m Manchester United target is better signing than Frenkie de Jong
- 36-year-old coach sits top of league table having left Manchester United last season
- XI players linked with Manchester United moves this week; featuring left-footed Premier League ace
- 'Really good player': Klopp praises star with no PL starts for Manchester United since May 2021
- 'Here we go': Manchester United have full agreement on Casemiro, says Romano