Manchester United are being linked to young Uruguayan winger Facundo Pellistri.
This is not the first time Pellistri has been connected with United.
The Athletic reported at the start of July that United were monitoring the 18-year-old.
Pellistri has a £10 million release clause in his contract.
A decision could be made shortly
Calciomercato report Penarol have an offer from Lyon for Pellistri.
But they are holding out for Manchester United to make a bid.
The report states: “While considering the proposal very interesting, the management has decided to delay a little more because, according to what has been learned, an offer from Manchester United for the 18-year-old winger could arrive by the weekend.”
You can’t blame Penarol for holding out. Dealing with United would give the Uruguayan side extra prestige, and potentially more money.
MORE UNITED STORIES
Whether an offer actually arrives on the other hand, is another matter.
Penarol recently sacked former United striker Diego Forlan as manager.
Forlan previously praised the teenager, quoted by the MEN “Pellistri has huge potential. There is still a lot to work on.
“He is growing and he makes the difference. We know it will be difficult to keep him for a long time. He has great pace and that is hard to handle.”
Pellistri has also been praised by Juan Roman Riquelme, and has a Spanish passport.
So far his in career he has a moderate return of two goals and three assists.
Pellistri would be an addition for United’s under-23 squad at first perhaps, rather than the first team. That’s if an offer even gets made.
If United do not submit a bid by the end of the weekend, Penarol could end up accepting Lyon’s offer.
- Confirmed: Erik ten Hag names Manchester United XI vs Burnley
- Micah Richards slams £100,000-a-week Manchester United player
- Alan Shearer worried 20-year-old Manchester United player could ‘get drowned’
- Tim Sherwood says £340,000-a-week player a bad signing for Manchester United
- ‘He will score’: Erik ten Hag backs £84,000-a-week Manchester United player
- Robbie Savage asks if Erik ten Hag made an ‘upgrade’ with key Man United summer signing
- Robbie Savage questions if Man United signing is ‘better fit’ than trio of players who ‘all changed clubs’ in summer
- £43m ace has ‘regressed’ at Manchester United following ‘serious mistakes’
- Erik ten Hag names the Manchester United summer signing he’s ‘very happy’ with