Paul Pogba sends message to Manchester United teammates after win
As Manchester United swept Istanbul Basaksehir aside with a dominant 4-1 win, Paul Pogba seemed like an afterthought.
The French midfielder was missing with an ankle injury for the second successive game.
He has not started a game for United since November 1 against Arsenal, when he gave away a penalty in a defeat.
There is as always, speculation over Pogba’s future, with his contract expiring in summer 2022.
An impressive performance from United’s midfield showed the team have the depth to survive without Pogba, and even thrive.
There was no bitterness on Pogba’s part to seeing United kick on without him. He sent a message to his teammates congratulating them on a big win.
Pogba has played his part in United’s surge to the top of the group. He provided the assist for Marcus Rashford’s winner in Paris, and Mason Greenwood’s opener against RB Leipzig.
Donny van de Beek’s starring role in midfield certainly complicates Pogba’s path back into the United first team.
The Frenchman is no longer first choice and he has to earn his place back in the side.
United lead the group and are well placed to clinch qualification to the knockout stages.
Pogba will be desperate to star in the latter stages of the Champions League. It is the stage he believes he belongs on.
By time the knockout phase arrives next February, assuming United qualify, Pogba will hope he has a central role to play. It could even be the stage he needs to raise his value for a summer move.
- Report: Manchester United loanee desperate to leave Red Devils on permanent basis
- Two Manchester United players at risk of World Cup suspension for semi-finals
- 'Incredible' Manchester United star is nation's 'best player', says World Cup winner
- Manchester United talent sends message after playing first match in seven months
- Manchester United star's chances of earning international recall have just significantly improved
- Manchester United starting XI v Young Boys one year on: Just 4 players now eligible for selection
- 'Electric' Manchester United wonderkid nominated for two awards after hitting lift off on loan spell
- Manchester United 'working on a deal' to make first signing of 2023 summer transfer window
- 'He deserves it': Marcus Rashford talks up foreign Manchester United target after 'big' World Cup 'moment'
- 27-year-old Manchester United star gave Ten Hag exactly what he wanted, significant performance