Paul Pogba earns plaudits with impressive performance in France win over Bulgaria
Paul Pogba played all 90 minutes as France beat Bulgaria 3-0 in Les Bleus’ final warm-up fixture.
Pogba started as part of a three man central midfield with Ngolo Kante and Corentin Tolisso.
While France’s tournament preparations were impeded by a first half injury to Karim Benzema, they went on to win the fixture comfortably. Antoine Griezmann scored the opener before a late double from Olivier Giroud.
Pogba was praised for his performance, with French newspaper Le Dauphine picking him out as one of the ‘top’ positives from the match.
The report wrote, “The midfielder of the Blues wanted to play and he had a great time on the Dionysian pitch. He graced the assistance of some fantastic movements on which the Bulgarians tried everything to slow him down. He sought to weigh offensively by looking for the killer pass.”
Get French Football News also praised the Manchester United midfielder’s contribution.
Pogba was given more freedom in an attacking sense with Kante alongside him, and Tolisso playing a defensive role too.
Pogba completed 87 per cent of his passes, making 89 touches in total.
The United midfielder won 10 duels, and completed five successful dribbles from five attempts.
He won two free-kicks and created one chance, while making seven ball recoveries.
It was an industrious and lively performance from Pogba, who felt like he had an extra level to go to if France really needed it.
For Pogba this was the ideal way to warm up for the Euros, following a 3-0 victory over Wales last week.
France are in a tough group with Germany, Portugal and Hungary, but no team will relish facing the World champions and Didier Deschamps’ side seem in great form.
Even with Benzema’s injury, which has to be assessed, Pogba’s performance gave French fans extra reason to be positive.
- Rangnick says 17-year-old Manchester United wonderkid faces battle to play v Palace
- Rangnick's final XI: Predicted 4-3-3 Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace: 4 changes
- 'He can do everything'… Manchester United target can succeed where Red Devils star has struggled
- Dortmund sacking shows Manchester United have landed a real coup
- Rangnick says Manchester United star will miss training tomorrow and may not play vs Palace
- Dani Alves has given backing to Manchester United target with £340m release clause
- Manchester United still scouting wonderkid three years after Old Trafford trial, 2023 earliest deal possible
- 'It will not be long'… Patrick Kluivert raves about Manchester United linked Antony
- Lingard and Elanga lead reaction as young Manchester United striker announces departure
- Triple sale would be a ruthless way for Erik ten Hag to start Manchester United's summer