Filip Stevanovic was strongly linked with a move to Manchester United last month by Serbian newspaper Republika.
Stevanovic turned 18 last week, which means as a non-EU player he would now able to move to United.
However, there is no official deal in place between United and Partizan Belgrade, and as such, a lack of clarity with regard to the player’s future.
Partizan changed managers at the start of the month, with Savo Milosevic replaced by Andrea Stanojevic.
Stanojevic was asked about Stevanovic’s future at the weekend and answered as honestly as possible.
The Partizan boss was quoted by Espreso: “I would like Stevanović to stay until the age of 23, but it will be difficult for him to welcome the next birthday at Partizan as things currently stand.”
Stevanovic has just turned 18, so his manager was essentially saying he expects him to leave within a year.
The original report from Republika claimed United would sign Stevanovic before loaning him back for a season.
Partizan were knocked out of the Europa League in qualifying by Belgian side Charleroi in midweek.
Manager Stanojevic’s comments leave the door open for a move, without really offering any clarity.
But six weeks on from the rumours over Stevanovic first breaking, this is about as much information on his future from Partizan’s end as there has been.
Filip Stevanovic: Player factfile
- First team star already
Stevanovic has now played 50 games for Partizan. He has 10 first team goals.
- Breakthrough talent
He made his first team debut at just 16-years-old for Partizan.
- Played at Old Trafford
Stevanovic featured home and away against United as a substitute in the Europa League in 2019/20
- Tricky style of play
Stevanovic is a left winger who loves to run with the ball. He is fast and has a strong shot, making him a difficult player for opponents to contain.
- James Garner needs opportunity regardless of Paul Pogba future
- Mason Greenwood missing out on England squad would be good for Manchester United
- Raphael Varane: What Manchester United would be getting
- Photos: Cavani returns to Manchester United training after injury absence
- Paul Pogba’s cheeky message to Jadon Sancho
- Solskjaer offers injury update on Cavani ahead of Crystal Palace clash
- Donny van de Beek sends supportive message to Timothy Fosu-Mensah
- Fred calls on United to improve patchy home form
- Facundo Pellistri comments on going out on loan