One year on from Harry Maguire clinching his transfer to United
It is one year ago today that Harry Maguire clinched his £80 million move from Leicester City to Manchester United.
Narrowly, Maguire’s move paid off in terms of Premier League placing, as United leapfrogged Leicester with one game remaining and then beat the Foxes on the final day.
This secured United a Champions League spot, giving Maguire the chance to play in the tournament for the first time next season.
Maguire was very happy to sign at Old Trafford after a long drawn out saga. He told the club website: “
From my conversations with the manager, I am excited about the vision and plans he has for the team.
It’s clear to see that Ole is building a team to win trophies. I am now looking forward to meeting my new team-mates and getting the season started.“
Maguire went straight into United’s line up and kept a clean sheet as United beat Chelsea 4-0 at Old Trafford on the opening day of the season.
His hopes of winning a trophy have not quite come true just yet, with United falling short at the semi-final stage in both domestic cups. There is still time to change that this season, with United set to play in the Europa League quarter-finals next week.
‘One of the best’
Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer did not hold back in his praise of Maguire.
He expressed his delight at United finally getting the signing over the line, praising Maguire’s ability, character, and temperament.
“Harry is one of the best centre-backs in the game today and I am delighted we have secured his signature.
He is a great reader of the game and has a strong presence on the pitch, with the ability to remain calm under pressure – coupled with his composure on the ball and a huge presence in both boxes – I can see he will fit well into this group both on and off the pitch.
“He has a great personality and is a fantastic addition to the club.“
Along with right-back Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Maguire helped United’s defence improve, with just 36 goals conceded in the Premier League compared to 54 the previous years.
Maguire played all 38 league games and took on the role of club captain mid-season after Ashley Young was sold to Inter Milan.
There was a needlessly long transfer pursuit to get him, and the cost of £80 million still seems over priced to many, when there were cheaper cenrtal defenders on the market.
Yet Maguire was the one Solskjaer wanted, and he has helped lead United back into the Champions League. In terms of results, you can’t really argue much with that, and it still feels like the best is yet to come, from Maguire and this United team as a whole.
- ‘He wants to leave’: Manager confirms £59m star wants reported £350k-a-week Man Utd move
- Two Manchester United transfer targets have previously voiced their affection for the club
- 'Totally unacceptable'… Gary Neville hits out at Glazer plan
- £42m PL move has double impact for Manchester United, including over 21-year-old star
- 'Love the way he plays football'… Rio Ferdinand raved about £60m Manchester United target
- Report: Manchester United enquire after Mexico international winger who is open to offers
- 18 wins from 20 games: Star has good reason for being tempted by Manchester United move
- Photo: 20-year-old Manchester United wonderkid compared to De Ligt closing in on return after being missing all summer
- World Cup '94 winner says Manchester United transfer target has already surpassed him