On loan Alexis Sanchez provides assist for Inter
All eyes were on a new look Old Trafford on Wednesday night as Manchester United swept Sheffield United aside to win 3-0.
It was Paul Pogba’s first start at the stadium since September, and he helped United to put on a show.
But 753 miles away in Milan, United’s best paid player Alexis Sanchez continued his own attempt at a comeback.
Sanchez made his first start for Inter since Italy’s season resumed, and he made a decisive impact.
He provided an assist for teammate Cristiano Biraghi early in the second half in a dramatic 3-3 draw at home to Sassuolo.
Sanchez was substituted after 61 minutes along with Christian Eriksen as Inter made a double change.
Impressively, during his hour on the pitch he had managed to create three chances, starting up front with ex-United teammate Romelu Lukaku, who himself scored a penalty.
Sanchez’s role at Inter over the coming weeks is unclear because United are yet to agree to extend his loan deal.
Calciomercato report United are reluctant to extend Sanchez’s agreement because Inter are still in the running for the Europa League.
It could be embarrassing if Sanchez costs United the trophy, with UEFA rules banning agreements prohibiting players featuring against their parent clubs.
This would leave Sanchez kicking his heels in the weeks ahead. After his performance last night, neither he or Inter will want this to happen.
We know Alexis has been a special player, it is up to him to prove he is not past it.
It has been a tough season for him at Inter, this match took his goal contribution across the whole season to one goal and three assists.
If his loan is extended, perhaps this can spark a run and see him find some form and consistency. So long as it comes to an end if we end up playing against him.
- Ten Hag eyeing £25 million move for Ajax's player of the season
- 5 alternatives to Frenkie de Jong for Manchester United, one is free, another is the PL's top bargain
- Manchester United target Antony could leave Ajax this summer, admits Daley Blind
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'