Manchester United may have a new hope of winning the race for wonderkid Jude Bellingham.
German newspaper BILD report Borussia Dortmund have not been able to agree a fee with Birmingham City.
The paper claim Bellingham’s preference is to join Dortmund, but the Bundesliga side now fear United could win him over.
United have been tracking teenage midfielder Bellingham since January, with Sky Sports then linking us with a £30 million move.
Bellingham was then pictured at United’s Carrington training ground in March, with Sir Alex Ferguson touring him around [BBC], yet he has reportedly been tempted greatly by Dortmund’s promise to fast-track his development and offer him a quicker route to regular first team football.
Now this could be in jeopardy, with Birmingham and Dortmund still yet to agree on a fee. BILD report Dortmund’s top offer is just £20 million.
Having seemed like a week ago that Bellingham was Dortmund-bound, this report adds a new twist to the long running transfer saga.
There are no guarantees here, but United are unlikely to have any trouble agreeing a fee with Birmingham, as financially he is well within reach, and the Championship side need the cash.
It is also intriguing to note that Dortmund may not be as flush with cash as they would like. With Bellingham a top priority for them, agreeing the fee should not be difficult.
So it makes you wonder whether financially Dortmund may end up being more willing to sell a certain Jadon Sancho this summer, and not hold out for a ridiculous transfer fee.
If they are desperate for cash to secure the Bellingham deal, perhaps it would make sense for them to pick up the phone to Ed Woodward and begin negotiating.
There will be a few more twists ahead no doubt, but one thing is certain: United’s transfer objectives this summer are inter-linked with Dortmund’s.
- Mata’s impressed Solskjaer in training: Could he resume van de Beek partnership tonight?
- Manchester United loanee Facundo Pellistri returns to Alaves training after injury
- Solskjaer says United believe Will Fish could be a star
- Three things we want to see in Paul Pogba’s Amazon ‘Pogmentary’
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Granada
- Manchester United fans react to Jude Bellingham’s Champions League performance
- Three key questions as Declan Rice to Manchester United rumours grow stronger
- Brandon Williams will fancy his chances of rare game time for United tonight
- What channel is the Man Utd v Granada Europa League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news