Young defender Max Taylor has confirmed he will leave Manchester United.
Taylor was named in United’s under-23 line-up against Derby County for Monday night’s match.
This is the under-23s final game of the season, and his last chance to play before his contract expires.
Taylor told MUTV: “I’ll be sad to leave United, it’ll always be my club but I’m ready for the next stage of my career.”
Asked what the future might hold for him, Taylor said he would consider offers outside of England when he becomes a free agent.
He said: “I’ve always liked the idea of playing abroad… I’m open to both.”
A mixed season
Taylor spent time earlier this year on trial at Portsmouth. No deal has yet been forthcoming, although it may be a possibility once his United contract expires at the end of June.
The young centre-back saw loan deals to MK Dons and then Macclesfield fall through last summer before clinching a move to Kidderminster, and getting on the scoresheet in his first month at the club.
His spell at Kidderminster was cut short at the start of 2021 when the non-league season was cancelled.
He then returned to United’s academy and has been playing under-23 football. Tonight’s match against Derby was his final game.
Taylor has already overcome serious adversity in his career so far, surviving a spell out of the game after being diagnosed with cancer.
After undergoing chemotherapy in 2018, Taylor was given clearance to resume his career a year later.
He travelled with the first team to Astana in 2019 for the Europa League tie, although did not play.
The MEN reported earlier this year Taylor was one of the players United were expecting to release this summer, and his exit is not a surprise.
Now 21, he needs to play first team football, and there is not a pathway for him to do so at Old Trafford.
He has had a taste of it out on loan, and an extended spell with the under-23s has helped him make up for lost time. Now is his opportunity to assess his options and carefully make a decision for the next step in his career.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad