There are sometimes great European performances where all you can do is stand and applaud.
Manchester United discovered this first hand when the Brazilian Ronaldo scored a hat-trick at Old Trafford for Real Madrid in 2003.
Kylian Mbappe had one of those famous star-etching performances in the Nou Camp last night as he scored a hat-trick to help PSG beat Barcelona 4-1.
United striker Marcus Rashford reached out to applaud Mbappe on his fantastic display.
Rashford has twice left Mbappe on the losing team with winning goals himself, including earlier this season.
Mbappe had the last laugh when PSG beat United 3-1 at Old Trafford in early December, a result which swung the group and left us needing to get a result in Leipzig.
Rashford still has more Champions League goals this season than Mbappe despite his hat-trick last night.
Mbappe only managed two in the group stage and is now up to five. Rashford scored six, but cannot add to it after United’s elimination and Mbappe will undoubtedly overtake his tally.
The two could nearly have been teammates. Ryan Giggs revealed in 2017 how he scouted Mbappe along with Gabriel Jesus, while assistant manager under Louis van Gaal.
Giggs told The Times: “I was watching them with the scout and it was a no-brainer.
“It was just like, ‘Get them.’ It would have been £5 million or something — get them, loan them back — and that’s where the recruitment could have been better.”
What a missed opportunity that turned out to be. Now, even if Mbappe was open to a move, United would be unable to afford him.
- Joel Glazer comments in announcement to plan Super League
- ‘Absolute scandal’… Gary Neville rages against proposed European Super League reports and Glazers
- Three big positives from Manchester United’s win over Burnley
- What channel is the Man Utd v Burnley Premier League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Three key questions as Raphael Varane to Manchester United links ramp up
- Youngster Malachi Sharpe undergoes first Manchester United academy training session
- Manchester United U23s deservedly beaten by ruthless Manchester City
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Burnley
- Haaland has shown why Manchester United need to sign Sancho as a priority
- Dylan Levitt reaches Croatian Cup final on loan at NK Istra