It has been reported for several months now that surgery on an ongoing shoulder problem was a possibility for Marcus Rashford.
Now The Telegraph report this is expected to go ahead.
The report claims Rashford is likely to undergo surgery on his shoulder later in July.
It is reported he may also get an ongoing ankle problem looked over at the same time.
Rashford first injured his shoulder last November against Arsenal and played through it. He has not looked himself since.
Before his injury Rashford scored eight goals in his opening 12 United games.
Since then he has not been nearly as prolific, scoring 13 in a span of 43 club games.
While the surgery involves a bit of a short-term blow for United, it is absolutely the correct decision.
Rashford needs to get back to his best and a proper break mentally and physically and this operation can allow him to get the extended rest he needs.
United have cover
United have a tough run of games in October and November and this would be an ideal time for Rashford to return refreshed and make a big impact.
In the mean time United have enough cover in his position out wide on the left.
Jadon Sancho can play on the left and did so for Dortmund, and this would allow Mason Greenwood to continue on the right, with either Anthony Martial or Edinson Cavani up front.
Martial could also fill in on the left, and Dan James will be pushing for a run of games too.
Young star Anthony Elanga could turn out to be the big winner as he can play in the position, and a strong pre-season could ensure United keep him rather than sending him out on loan.
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s record against Aston Villa
- David de Gea excited by Cristiano Ronaldo’s early impact
- Solskjaer offers update on Cavani ahead of Villa clash
- Aston Villa boss Smith raves about United loanee Axel Tuanzebe
- Manchester United’s top under-23s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United’s top under-18s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United have doubts over signing Declan Rice
- Uruguay negotiating to try and secure Edinson Cavani release for October international fixtures
- Should Solskjaer start Jesse Lingard against Aston Villa and how would he fit in?