Manchester United's three worst players against Tottenham
Manchester United turned in an unacceptable performance at home to Tottenham.
United were beaten heavily in a game which was over by half-time.
There were no individual performances to be proud of. This was an even worse effort than the earlier loss to Crystal Palace.
On a miserable day, three players stood out as particularly poor.
Harry Maguire’s contribution to Tottenham’s first goal was a comedy of errors. But there was nothing funny about it.
He headed the ball back into danger, before wiping out Luke Shaw as he tried to clear it, leaving Tanguy Ndombele with a tap in.
Maguire was not quick enough to stop Spurs taking a free-kick early, moments later, and United’s defence was cut apart.
United need better from the club captain, and while centre-back partner Eric Bailly was poor too, Maguire’s faults were more noticeable.
For a player signed for a fee of £80 million, United demand far better.
Another expensive signing, Paul Pogba’s performance was one of his worst for the club.
Pogba was a passenger throughout, and at times was ambling through the game.
He gave away a penalty for Tottenham’s sixth goal, after being sold a dummy by Ben Davies. It summed up his performance.
You can come up with all the excuses in the world for Pogba, but this was just not good enough by any standard.
It is just as well United reportedly have a new left-back set to sign for the club.
This was Luke Shaw’s worst performance of 2020, and it came at the worst time possible.
He was dragged out of position and left gaps which Tottenham were able to exploit out wide.
Shaw was lucky not to be sent off after a wild tackle on Lucas Moura in the dying minutes as his frustration got the better of him.
- Gary Neville gives his verdict on how he thinks Erik ten Hag will replace Cristiano Ronaldo at Manchester United
- Manchester United star injures player who made 14 appearances under Ten Hag in World Cup training session
- Alejandro Garnacho gives glowing two-word verdict on Manchester United star's World Cup performance
- Report: Manchester United now want to sign £52m midfielder who won at Old Trafford this season
- 'I could have left for United'… World Cup goalscorer speaks out about failed Old Trafford move
- Jude Bellingham and Wayne Rooney pay tribute to 'absolutely outstanding' Manchester United World Cup star
- Manchester United prospect scores the winner for his loan club during World Cup break
- 'Very proud': Manchester United coach pays tribute to Red Devils forward after his 'beautiful moment' at the World Cup
- Report: Manchester United now set to loan out defender who said he was open to January move