Manchester United's three worst players against Tottenham
Manchester United turned in an unacceptable performance at home to Tottenham.
United were beaten heavily in a game which was over by half-time.
There were no individual performances to be proud of. This was an even worse effort than the earlier loss to Crystal Palace.
On a miserable day, three players stood out as particularly poor.
Harry Maguire’s contribution to Tottenham’s first goal was a comedy of errors. But there was nothing funny about it.
He headed the ball back into danger, before wiping out Luke Shaw as he tried to clear it, leaving Tanguy Ndombele with a tap in.
Maguire was not quick enough to stop Spurs taking a free-kick early, moments later, and United’s defence was cut apart.
United need better from the club captain, and while centre-back partner Eric Bailly was poor too, Maguire’s faults were more noticeable.
For a player signed for a fee of £80 million, United demand far better.
Another expensive signing, Paul Pogba’s performance was one of his worst for the club.
Pogba was a passenger throughout, and at times was ambling through the game.
He gave away a penalty for Tottenham’s sixth goal, after being sold a dummy by Ben Davies. It summed up his performance.
You can come up with all the excuses in the world for Pogba, but this was just not good enough by any standard.
It is just as well United reportedly have a new left-back set to sign for the club.
This was Luke Shaw’s worst performance of 2020, and it came at the worst time possible.
He was dragged out of position and left gaps which Tottenham were able to exploit out wide.
Shaw was lucky not to be sent off after a wild tackle on Lucas Moura in the dying minutes as his frustration got the better of him.
- Portugal international waiting on offer from Manchester United as Barcelona make move
- Manchester United eye cut-price move for £32m Champions League winner to partner De Jong
- 17-goal wonderkid, La Masia graduate: 3 FA Youth Cup winners Man Utd should loan out this summer
- Erik ten Hag's first five signings as Ajax manager including two former Premier League stars
- Five players Manchester United had very lucky escapes on including '£50m-valued midfielder'
- Long-serving Manchester United academy coach set to leave as behind the scenes changes continue
- 'We are going to win trophies'… Manchester United star optimistic about silverware next season
- 5 free agents Manchester United could sign this summer including Rangnick's international DM and '£85m' Italy striker
- 'He delivers'… Steve McClaren is a huge fan of 25-year-old Manchester United midfielder