Manchester United's three best players against Norwich
Unlike Manchester United’s showcase performance against Sheffield United in midweek, the FA Cup tie away at Norwich was more of a grind.
That is often how cup ties go. But it felt like United made particularly needlessly hard work of this one.
There were only a handful of impressive individual performances in this one.
Here is a look at the three individuals who stood out the most for positive reasons…
United’s captain stepped up with a performance and contribution worthy of the armband.
Maguire scored a 117th minute goal to give United a win and avoid the lottery of a penalty shootout.
This was just his third goal for the club, with each of them coming since he was made captain in January.
It wasn’t just the goal which impressed. He made a crucial block late in the first half to deny Norwich a goal.
At the back he made five clearances and two interceptions, while constantly pushing forward to help United’s attack as we tried to make the extra man count after Timm Klose was sent off.
Paul Pogba came on in the 77th minute and still ended up creating four goalscoring chances.
The Frenchman was outstanding when he came on, and played with real vigour and determination.
If this is Pogba still working his way back to fitness and sharpness, we can’t wait to see what he can do over the coming weeks.
He is quickly re-establishing himself as Manchester United’s key player, and is working well with his teammates.
It is so important that United keep hold of him next season and beyond.
After Anthony Martial’s midweek hat-trick, Odion Ighalo came into this game under a little pressure.
This was his first start since March and he did what he was asked to do.
Ighalo broke the deadlock with a well taken volley, scoring with his first shot at goal.
He won two aerial duels, and while his hold up play was a little lacking in the first half, he can be pleased with his contribution as he has kept up his record of scoring in every United game he has started.
- Manchester United have scouted £43m-valued 'fantastic' striker who Owen Hargreaves loves several times
- Gary Neville gives his verdict on how he thinks Erik ten Hag will replace Cristiano Ronaldo at Manchester United
- Manchester United star injures player who made 14 appearances under Ten Hag in World Cup training session
- Alejandro Garnacho gives glowing two-word verdict on Manchester United star's World Cup performance
- Report: Manchester United now want to sign £52m midfielder who won at Old Trafford this season
- 'I could have left for United'… World Cup goalscorer speaks out about failed Old Trafford move
- Jude Bellingham and Wayne Rooney pay tribute to 'absolutely outstanding' Manchester United World Cup star
- Manchester United prospect scores the winner for his loan club during World Cup break
- 'Very proud': Manchester United coach pays tribute to Red Devils forward after his 'beautiful moment' at the World Cup