Unlike Manchester United’s showcase performance against Sheffield United in midweek, the FA Cup tie away at Norwich was more of a grind.
That is often how cup ties go. But it felt like United made particularly needlessly hard work of this one.
There were only a handful of impressive individual performances in this one.
Here is a look at the three individuals who stood out the most for positive reasons…
United’s captain stepped up with a performance and contribution worthy of the armband.
Maguire scored a 117th minute goal to give United a win and avoid the lottery of a penalty shootout.
This was just his third goal for the club, with each of them coming since he was made captain in January.
It wasn’t just the goal which impressed. He made a crucial block late in the first half to deny Norwich a goal.
At the back he made five clearances and two interceptions, while constantly pushing forward to help United’s attack as we tried to make the extra man count after Timm Klose was sent off.
Paul Pogba came on in the 77th minute and still ended up creating four goalscoring chances.
The Frenchman was outstanding when he came on, and played with real vigour and determination.
If this is Pogba still working his way back to fitness and sharpness, we can’t wait to see what he can do over the coming weeks.
He is quickly re-establishing himself as Manchester United’s key player, and is working well with his teammates.
It is so important that United keep hold of him next season and beyond.
After Anthony Martial’s midweek hat-trick, Odion Ighalo came into this game under a little pressure.
This was his first start since March and he did what he was asked to do.
Ighalo broke the deadlock with a well taken volley, scoring with his first shot at goal.
He won two aerial duels, and while his hold up play was a little lacking in the first half, he can be pleased with his contribution as he has kept up his record of scoring in every United game he has started.
- Which Eric Bailly will we see on his first United appearance of the season?
- Charlie Savage tries claiming deflected own goal and his teammates are not having it
- Ex United duo Falcao and Bebe combine to net late winner for La Liga side
- Teden Mengi produces captain’s performance in EFL Trophy win
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s penalty record for Manchester United?
- Ethan Galbraith impresses in cameo role to help Doncaster beat City U21s
- What channel is the Man Utd vs West Ham EFL Cup match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Solskjaer says Rashford could return after international break
- Bruno Fernandes’ creative numbers compare well with Paul Pogba despite assist gap