Edinson Cavani… injured.
Anthony Martial… injured.
Marcus Rashford… injured.
And judging from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s post-match comments to BT Sport, none of them are looking good to be ready for Sunday’s Premier League game with West Ham, although the second leg of the Europa League against Milan could be a possibility.
This leaves just Mason Greenwood as a recognised forward available this weekend, and he has not scored since January and has just four all season.
United let Odion Ighalo leave in January too, and the club’s strike options suddenly look barren this weekend against West Ham.
There are two other options
This could be the perfect moment for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to be bold.
Joe Hugill, 17, has 16 goals for the under-23s and under-18s this season.
Charlie McNeill, the same age, has 15 goals for the under-18s. Neither of them can stop scoring.
With Shola Shoretire promoted from the under-23s, one or both of McNeill and Hugill could and perhaps should, get the call.
It was a scenario like this which saw Marcus Rashford make his debut in the first place against Midtylland, following an unlikely and unprecedented injury crisis back in 2016.
Hugill especially should be considered for a ‘needs must’ promotion, especially if Greenwood were to get injured or fall ill in the lead up to Sunday’s game. He should at least be with the squad in case of emergency.
The under-23s play later today against Brighton, and it will be interesting to see if Hugill plays at all, and for how long.
The under-18s have a game on Saturday. McNeill might be rested, especially after playing in the Youth Cup and scoring in midweek.
It could be too early for both players. But if Louis van Gaal thought like this regarding Marcus Rashford, who knows if his chance would ever have come under Jose Mourinho months later?
The speed of recovery for the injured trio will dictate Solskjaer’s decision making this weekend. This could be a time for him to turn to youth.
- Rangnick praises two Manchester United players including one who is a 'fantastic person'
- 'I lost the ball'… Manchester United star accepts responsibility for role in Young Boys goal
- 'You deserve'… Bruno Fernandes congratulates teammate on making Manchester United debut
- Hargreaves praises 'really sharp' Manchester United youngster who could start for Rangnick this weekend
- 4 Manchester United players who will regret disappointing performances v Young Boys
- 'Love him', 'Class'… Some Manchester United fans react to teenager's performance v Young Boys
- Manchester United youngster matches Carlos Tevez achievement and best is yet to come
- Zidane Iqbal and Charlie Savage send messages after making Manchester United debut
- 'I'm truly sorry'… Amad sends apology to Manchester United supporters
- 'Absolutely incredible'… Some Manchester United fans react to star's 'world class' performance against Young Boys