Manchester United had to work hard to beat Luton Town in a Carabao Cup third round match.
Juan Mata’s first half penalty after Brandon Williams was fouled gave United a lead at the end of a dull first half.
United pushed for a second and eventually made the breakthrough in the 88th minute when a trio of late substitutes took over.
Mason Greenwood set up Marcus Rashford for an impressive counter-attacking goal to make it 2-0.
Bruno Fernandes then found Greenwood in space in injury time, for the teenager to run at Luton’s defence before firing the ball low into the net to round off a flattering 3-0 scoreline.
Greenwood, Fernandes and Rashford all sent messages on social media after the win.
The trio were joined by Eric Bailly and Fred who both played all 90 minutes and also celebrated the win on social media.
United are now into the fourth round and will play the winner of Preston North End’s match with Brighton which will be held tonight.
United now have a few days rest before another trip back down south to face Brighton at Saturday lunchtime.
This victory washes away some of the bad feeling generated from the defeat to Crystal Palace at the weekend, and gives the team a bit of confidence and added fitness before Saturday’s game.
- Is this the best front six to get Van de Beek into United’s starting XI?
- Teden Mengi’s step down to United under-23s a necessary detour on his way to the top
- Paul Pogba must earn back a regular starting spot in United’s best XI
- Kylian Mbappe raves about two Manchester United players
- Fans react to Bruno Fernandes being handed captaincy for PSG clash
- Predicted Manchester United XI v PSG
- Anthony Martial has more to give than any other United player v PSG
- Mata and Fernandes partnership could change United’s approach
- Harry Maguire sends message to Manchester United fans