Solskjaer says Rashford is not fit enough for 90 minutes yet
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has offered an update on the fitness of Marcus Rashford ahead of Manchester United’s clash with Atalanta.
Rashford was brought on for the final 25 minutes of Saturday’s 4-2 loss at Leicester.
The England international scored on his first appearance of the season in what was the only real positive from the game.
Speaking to the club’s official app in the buildup to the game, Solskjaer said Rashford is not fit enough yet to play 90 minutes.
“It was a big bonus for Marcus. He’s worked incredibly hard and has been focused to get himself back on the pitch,” said Solskjaer.
“He looked like he’d never been out. He’s probably not fit enough for a 90-minute full game yet because he’s been out for a while.
“But he’s looking strong, fresh and eager and he’ll be on the pitch at some point (against Atalanta).
“When you lose, it’s obvious things didn’t go as planned. We’ve got loads of good players and rotation is always going to be important. There will be changes in how we approach the game.”
It seems most likely that Rashford will be used as an impact sub tonight if he has not got 90 minutes in him.
That said, Rashford looked brighter when he came on at Leicester than all of United’s starting attackers.
He could start the game and come off when he starts to feel the strain. United have five subs tonight and enough options to make that a possibility.
Rashford’s return is a real plus for United and making it two goals from two games this season would be most welcome tonight.
- £67.5m star hands in transfer request with Manchester United linked
- Club confirm signing of 'high calibre' young player released by Manchester United
- Opinion: Cristiano Ronaldo frustration is understandable as Murtough continues to strike out
- Reward for failure: MUST criticise 'indefensible' £11m Glazer dividend payment
- 'Graveyard'… Neville says Glazers to blame as Manchester United battle for signing