Manchester United reportedly tracking French prospect Joel Ngoya
France Football report Manchester United are tracking Lille prospect Joel Ngoya, who will become a free agent in a fortnight.
Ngoya has been involved in a contract dispute at Lille and is now unwilling to sign for the club, despite starring for their youth side this past season.
United are said to be one of three Premier League clubs showing interest, while there are also Spanish and Italian clubs monitoring his situation.
German side Hoffenheim have offered Ngoya signing bonus and a five-year contract, France Football claim.
What do we know about him?
Ngoya is a defensive midfielder and he is just 18-years-old. If he were signed, he would go into United’s under-23 team.
Footmercato describe him as ‘a very technical left-footed midfielder’, and highlighted his strong performances for Lille’s under-19s this season against both Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain.
Lille have built a good track record of developing young players over the last decade, but it appears they have their work cut out persuading Ngoya to sign a new deal.
United looked to Ligue 1 last summer to recruit young talent Hannibal Mejbri from Monaco, and previous gambles have been taken on Aliou Traore and Noam Emeram.
It would make sense that United are well aware of Ngoya’s ability and his situation, and the chance to land him on a ‘free’ could be tempting.
The considerable competition may make United wary of getting into an auction in terms of contract length and signing on bonus, and other clubs will be able to offer Ngoya a quicker route to first team action.
There is nothing to say United have made an offer, nor one is imminent, simply that the club are keeping track of the situation. This is one just to keep track of and see if it leads anywhere.
- Report: Cristiano Ronaldo and Manchester United teammate ruled out injured v Crystal Palace
- Report: Paul Pogba has decided his next club, final details being sorted on three-year contract
- 9 players who represented both Manchester United and Barcelona amid Dest links; including French World Cup winner
- Manchester United man whose contract expires this summer says he could stay to play under ten Hag
- De Gea and McTominay lead reaction as Manchester United goalkeeper celebrates reaching Wembley
- Rangnick says 17-year-old Manchester United wonderkid faces battle to play v Palace
- Rangnick's final XI: Predicted 4-3-3 Manchester United line-up v Crystal Palace: 4 changes
- 'He can do everything'… Manchester United target can succeed where Red Devils star has struggled
- Dortmund sacking shows Manchester United have landed a real coup