Loan spells can be the making of young players and that often means the path to success is not always smooth.
Young talent Dylan Levitt is finding this out the hard way at Charlton Athletic.
Levitt, 19, began the season well, starring for Wales on international duty, and United took their time in finding him what they hoped would be the right loan club.
It is too early to cast judgement on whether that is Charlton, as manager Lee Bowyer has tried to involve him as much as possible.
At the weekend Levitt was substituted at half-time in the Addicks win away at Northampton.
He had made 26 touches in 45 minutes, making two interceptions, but otherwise struggling to make an impact.
Bowyer blamed the weather, and said the blustery conditions did not suit Levitt’s style of play.
The score was goalless at half-time, and Charlton went on to win 2-0 in the second half.
Bowyer told the SLP: “It was difficult for young Dylan there. It was not his type of game.”
35-year-old Darren Pratley came on in his place, with Bowyer deciding the game required experience over youth, and the veteran substitute went on to score the opening goal.
Charlton are seven games into a 46 game league season and so this is just a match to brush off, for Levitt.
This was just Levitt’s third league start. He has also played in one Carabao Cup game.
Playing ‘men’s football’ is a step up for Levitt from the under-23s, and a good challenge for him.
While he has a little experience for Wales at international level and featured in the Europa League once for United last season, League One is a bit of a culture shock.
United will likely re-assess his situation in January even though his loan deal is for a year.
Until then, Levitt needs to dig in, work hard, and show he is suitable and adaptable for the challenge at hand.
Manchester United loan exits 20/21
- Aliou Traore
SM Caen (season)
- Joel Pereira
Huddersfield Town (season)
- Andreas Pereira
- Diogo Dalot
AC Milan (season)
- Di’Shon Bernard
Salford City (until end of season)
- Jake Carney
- Ethan Laird
MK Dons (Jan to end of season)
- Jesse Lingard
West Ham (Jan to end of season)
- James Garner
Nottingham Forest (Jan to end of season)
- Tahith Chong
Club Brugge (Jan to end of season)
- Facundo Pellistri
Alaves (Jan to end of season)
- Teden Mengi
Derby (Jan to end of season)
- Dylan Levitt
NK Istra (Feb to end of season)
- Mata’s impressed Solskjaer in training: Could he resume van de Beek partnership tonight?
- Manchester United loanee Facundo Pellistri returns to Alaves training after injury
- Solskjaer says United believe Will Fish could be a star
- Three things we want to see in Paul Pogba’s Amazon ‘Pogmentary’
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Granada
- Manchester United fans react to Jude Bellingham’s Champions League performance
- Three key questions as Declan Rice to Manchester United rumours grow stronger
- Brandon Williams will fancy his chances of rare game time for United tonight
- What channel is the Man Utd v Granada Europa League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Manchester United’s TikTok account releases light-hearted Cavani video after Tottenham controversy