Teden Mengi was talked up by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer last week in an interview with BBC Sport.
That night he was playing for the under-21s in an EFL Cup match against Salford City.
Days later Mengi was involved with the first team in Saturday’s friendly against Aston Villa.
Mengi came on as a second half substitute at Villa Park, replacing Odion Ighalo as United made a tactical switch.
It gave Mengi the chance to partner Harry Maguire, giving United fans a glimpse of the future.
Mengi helped United
United may have lost the friendly match due to a goal in the first half, but Mengi did his job.
Mengi actually helped the defence look more secure, and after he came on, Villa barely had a scoring opportunity.
The 18-year-old was praised by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer after the match.
The manager told the club website: “In the second half, you saw Teden when he came on, how exciting a prospect he is.”
Mengi is currently behind Harry Maguire, Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly and Axel Tuanzebe in the queue at Old Trafford.
Tuanzebe is currently out injured, and with United facing either Reading or Luton in the Carabao Cup the week after next, Mengi has a good chance of being involved.
Mengi’s brief performance was an encouraging one. It left fans even more excited about his potential…
- David de Gea sends message after defeat
- Five things we learned as Manchester United lose to PSG
- Confirmed Manchester United XI v PSG
- Marco Verratti says he hopes Paul Pogba does not play for United against PSG
- Solskjaer talks up on-loan James Garner ahead of Watford FA Cup clash
- Thomas Tuchel praises Manchester United’s quality on the counter-attack
- Solskjaer talks up PSG defender Marquinhos ahead of Champions League clash
- Fragile PSG are vulnerable and dangerous: Manchester United must keep focus
- Predicted Manchester United XI v PSG