Paul Pogba’s situation has been building to this point for a while. A big story broke last night from The Mirror that he has rejected a contract offer worth £350,000 per week.
Obviously you can pick holes in the source and point to moments where they have got it wrong in the past, but let’s look at what we know.
United wanted to renew Pogba’s deal a year ago, Sky Sports reported. The summer passed and no extension was agreed. United made the emergency move to trigger a one year rollover extension to June 2022, to stop him leaving on a free this summer. The same luxury is not available this time around.
Pogba’s contract expires next year and can walk away on a free transfer. To lose him twice in this way would be humiliating, and with fans back at Old Trafford next season, it could get uncomfortable at times knowing that the midfielder is deliberately running down his deal.
Last year Pogba’s agent Mino Raiola declared Pogba would leave this summer and he may get his wish.
L’Equipe reported earlier this week that Pogba is tempted to join PSG and Raiola has been negotiating a move.
On the pitch
The sad aspect about a Pogba departure is that United are in a better place as a team generally than for a long time. He would be leaving just as the team are ready to mount a title challenge.
But that could be his loss. United have to move on, and sell Pogba for a player who fits the team better.
Last season United had to shunt Pogba out onto the left wing to accommodate him. This saw Marcus Rashford moved out of position onto the right.
United have not surrounded Pogba with an ideal midfield partner in recent seasons and with Nemanja Matic now 32, a new defensive midfielder is required.
If Pogba wants to leave however, it is a moot point. United can invest the money gained for his sale towards a new signing or two.
The uncertainty cannot drag on any longer. There is still a month left of the transfer window, and time to re-shape the team. United have had long enough to plan for this.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to the reports Pogba has turned down a new deal…
- Is Man Utd vs Villa on TV? Kick off time, team news and prediction
- Solskjaer says de Gea has been smashing personal bests in United’s fitness tests
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Aston Villa
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s record against Aston Villa
- David de Gea excited by Cristiano Ronaldo’s early impact
- Solskjaer offers update on Cavani ahead of Villa clash
- Aston Villa boss Smith raves about United loanee Axel Tuanzebe
- Manchester United’s top under-23s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United’s top under-18s scorers and assist leaders for 2021/22
- Manchester United have doubts over signing Declan Rice
- Uruguay negotiating to try and secure Edinson Cavani release for October international fixtures