Luke Shaw made his first start for England last night since September 2018.
Shaw made an immediate impact upon his return to the side, providing an assist to help England go 1-0 up against Albania.
The Manchester United regular floated in a perfect cross for Harry Kane to head into the net, with the England forward beating ex-United youngster Freddie Veseli to Shaw’s cross.
Shaw has been consistently excellent for Manchester United this season and it was good to see him show his form on the international stage.
Having been rested along with Harry Maguire for what was essentially a warm-up match against San Marino in midweek, both United stars came into the line-up for this tougher match against an Albania side who qualified for Euro 2016.
Shaw is beginning to realise the potential which saw him called into England’s World Cup squad back in 2014.
While his cross for Kane’s goal was the only chance he created for England in the win over Albania, it was a decisive moment, a key part of the 2-0 victory.
Shaw touched the ball 100 times, completed 92 per cent of his passes, including five of five long balls attempted.
Defensively he played his part in a clean sheet, making a team-high three tackles, and also two clearances.
There will be a bigger test for Shaw when England face Poland on Wednesday night. He should have done enough to retain his place, although from a Manchester United perspective, it’s preferable he would be left out.
Shaw’s performance left United fans feeling both impressed and validated. Here is a look at some of the reaction…
- Could Jadon Sancho end up as Paul Pogba’s replacement?
- Tom Heaton to United would bring his free agent exit full circle after angering Fergie
- Three reasons Manchester United should play Hannibal against Fulham
- Every trophy won by Manchester United
- Manchester United fans are the best, says Solskjaer, as he hopes for lift from crowd return
- Solskjaer says Martial and James not ready to start v Fulham
- Villarreal striker Moreno scores 29th goal of the season ahead of United clash
- Manchester United target Sven Botman produces man of the match performance for Lille
- Dan James returns to Manchester United training
- Who is reported Manchester United target Mauro Arambarri?