Bruno Fernandes’ Euro 2020 is off to a winning start. Portugal beat Hungary 3-0, although the game was a lot tighter than the scoreline suggested.
The game was goalless until Raphael Guerreiro scored a deflected goal to open the scoring in the 84th minute.
Cristiano Ronaldo then netted two more goals, a penalty and one in injury time to round off the win.
Hungary had taken a lead minutes before Portugal’s opener, but the goal was ruled out for offside. This decision did not go down well with the 60,000 home fans and Portugal then turned the game on it’s head.
Portugal should really have been in the lead going into half-time. Bruno Fernandes whipped in an inch perfect cross which Cristiano Ronaldo somehow blazed over the bar from close range.
Fernandes was Portugal’s most creative player. He made three key passes, more than Diogo Jota, Ronaldo, and Bernardo Silva managed combined (2).
Fernandes had one shot on target and was substituted on 88 minutes as Portugal looked to close out the game.
This was an ideal start for the defending champions ahead of upcoming games against Germany and then France.
At times Portugal played like individuals rather than a team, with Jota particularly wasteful. Until the late flurry of goals it was an underwhelming performance, with the United star the pick of the bunch.
Fernandes did his bit and he will get more chances to show what he is capable of in the upcoming games.
Here is a look at how United supporters reacted to Fernandes’ performance…
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad
- Sergio Ramos and Marcelo congratulate Raphael Varane on Manchester United move