Ethan Galbraith’s impressive array of passing was on show once again for Manchester United’s under-23 side on Monday night.
The Northern Ireland international provided the assist for Charlie McCann to score United’s goal in a 3-1 defeat, with the equaliser coming just before half-time.
McCann still had plenty to do when he received the ball, twisting, turning, before scoring from 20 yards out.
What was key was the position he collected the ball in. Galbraith found him in a pocket of space and played a clever forward pass, taking two Everton midfielders out of the game.
Galbraith was unlucky not to already be on the scoresheet himself. Earlier in the half he went on a run of his own through the midfield, curling the ball past the keeper towards the bottom corner from outside the box, only for the ball to slide narrowly wide.
United started the second half as the better team before getting hit on the break and ultimately falling to a 3-1 defeat.
Galbraith the standout player
With United’s side lacking the likes of Shola Shoretire, Anthony Elanga, Hannibal Mejbri, plus Amad Diallo and countless players out on loan, just being able to compete strongly at this level last night was a plus.
Galbraith helped United run the game for the best part of 70 minutes and he was most unlucky to end up on the losing side.
In the last game against Arsenal it was Galbraith’s defence splitting long ball which saw Hannibal Mejbri win a penalty and an Arsenal player sent off.
It was great timing for Galbraith to put in a showing like this, with United short on first team midfielders due to injury, and with a Europa League second leg game upcoming with the team 4-0 up. Don’t be surprised if he is in the squad on Thursday night.
Here is a look at how fans reacted to Galbraith’s performance…
- Lisandro Martinez and Marcus Rashford send messages to Luke Shaw
- Antony sends happy birthday message to Cristiano Ronaldo
- Paul Ince sends classy message to Christian Eriksen while reiterating Andy Carroll stance
- David de Gea backs Marcel Sabitzer to step up following Christian Eriksen and Casemiro setbacks
- Portsmouth boss delivers verdict on how Di’Shon Bernard fared on his loan debut
- David de Gea issues update on contract talks with Manchester United
- Jeffrey Schlupp issues two-word verdict on Marcus Rashford’s current form
- Patrick Vieira handed Crystal Palace star specific task of nullifying Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Manchester United academy talent Logan Pye ruled out for the rest of the season
- United loanee Hannibal makes major impact in dramatic Birmingham win