Manchester United close to agreement for Facundo Pellistri
Manchester United are reportedly close to a deal for young Uruguayan winger Facundo Pellistri.
South American newspaper El Observador reports Pellistri’s proposed move to Lyon has fallen through, with United making a play for his signature.
United’s interest in Pellistri was first reported by The Athletic in early July.
The 18-year-old winger would likely start off with United’s under-23 team if he joins.
Pellistri is reported to be close to a £10 million move, reports The Mail.
He plays for Penarol and was handed his debut by Diego Forlan, who was sacked last month as manager of the club.
The Mail reported earlier this year that Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Manchester City, Napoli, and Boca Juniors were all keen on signing him.
At £10 million, Pellistri is worth United taking a punt on. The South American market is one which is too often overlooked by the club.
Praise for Pellistri
Former Argentine star Juan Roman Riquelme has praised Pellistri’s work rate.
He was quoted by Goal saying : “(He) is quite a scoundrel in the way he plays, and that is very important.”
His manager Diego Forlan was quoted by the MEN “Pellistri has huge potential. There is still a lot to work on. He is growing and he makes the difference. We know it will be difficult to keep him for a long time. He has great pace and that is hard to handle.”
Pellistri’s style has also seen him compared to Juventus’ Paulo Dybala, Italian website Calciomercato reports.
Facundo Pellistri: Player profile
- Talented young winger
Pellistri is 18 and plays mainly as a right winger, although is also comfortable on the left. He made his debut for Penarol last August at 17.
- The numbers
In total Pellistri has 37 appearances as a professional and two goals. He also has four assists, and made his Copa Libertadores debut in March.
- No red tape hold-up
Pellistri has a Spanish passport, which means he would not require a work permit.
- Style of play
Pellistri’s pace and dribbling ability is his biggest strength. He is keen to take players on and has good close control. He also likes to drop deep and has a good work rate in trying to win the ball back.
- 4-2-3-1: Predicted Manchester United XI v Brentford, 4 changes, McTominay dropped
- Photo: Youngster signs Manchester United contract after academy transfer
- Erik ten Hag press conference: Manchester United will make signings before transfer window closes
- 'Will not be available': Ten Hag confirms two Manchester United players will miss Brentford clash through injury
- Report: Manchester United raise £1m transfer target budget to £7m
- Photos: Cristiano Ronaldo features as United officially release new 2022/23 third kit
- Forget Arnautovic, the most ludicrous Manchester United striker link yet has emerged
- Manchester United's possible midfield solution could finally make career-changing breakthrough this weekend
- Report: £63m Manchester United target's fiancee 'desperate' to stay put