Maguire losing fitness race as United reportedly agree Heaton signing
It has been a busy afternoon for Manchester United as the team prepare for the Europa League final tomorrow.
There is just over 24 hours before United face Villarreal and United have held a first training session in Gdansk.
Unfortunately club captain Harry Maguire was unable to join in the training session, still limited by his ankle injury sustained a fortnight ago.
Maguire joined managed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and assistant Mike Phelan in watching the session, which was held at the venue of the final in Gdansk.
It was a sad sight to see the club captain restricted like this. United once won a European final without the captain, when Roy Keane was suspended in 1999. The only problem is Solskjaer can’t come off the bench this time to score a winning goal.
United do have 25 other members of the travelling squad who are healthy, including centre-backs Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly, and Axel Tuanzebe. Solskjaer has a tricky choice which duo to select of those three.
Speaking at his press conference prior to the training session, Solskjaer said Maguire could ‘jog up and down the sidelines’. Instead he just watched on. It looks bleak for his chances of playing tomorrow night.
Signing close to being completed
In other news, United are closing in on the free transfer signing of goalkeeper Tom Heaton.
The Mirror report Heaton has agreed to sign once his contract at Aston Villa expires.
The Telegraph previously claimed Heaton was ‘close’ to agreeing a move.
He left United on a free transfer in 2010, to the annoyance of Sir Alex Ferguson.
Heaton, 35, will be a third choice, with Sergio Romero and Lee Grant set to leave, and he could be a second choice if either David de Gea or Dean Henderson depart in the summer.
- 'Top player': Former Manchester United player raves about 'fantastic' Ten Hag signing
- Only 3 players who started Manchester United's last win at Etihad likely to start under Ten Hag
- Manchester United now have an easy decision to make over £19m star
- Manchester United star doubles down on reason for his superb turnaround in form
- Real Madrid star says Manchester United summer signing “has a lot of quality”
- Rio Ferdinand claims in-form Manchester United man better suited to international football than Premier League
- £46m Manchester United star says he is feeling confident ahead of the World Cup
- 21 direct goal involvements in last 14 games : 23-year-old Manchester United target shines on international stage
- International boss explains why he trialled Manchester United ace in new position and gives verdict on display
- Ralf Rangnick relegated as Austria slump to third defeat in a row