It has been a busy afternoon for Manchester United as the team prepare for the Europa League final tomorrow.
There is just over 24 hours before United face Villarreal and United have held a first training session in Gdansk.
Unfortunately club captain Harry Maguire was unable to join in the training session, still limited by his ankle injury sustained a fortnight ago.
Maguire joined managed Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and assistant Mike Phelan in watching the session, which was held at the venue of the final in Gdansk.
It was a sad sight to see the club captain restricted like this. United once won a European final without the captain, when Roy Keane was suspended in 1999. The only problem is Solskjaer can’t come off the bench this time to score a winning goal.
United do have 25 other members of the travelling squad who are healthy, including centre-backs Victor Lindelof, Eric Bailly, and Axel Tuanzebe. Solskjaer has a tricky choice which duo to select of those three.
Speaking at his press conference prior to the training session, Solskjaer said Maguire could ‘jog up and down the sidelines’. Instead he just watched on. It looks bleak for his chances of playing tomorrow night.
Signing close to being completed
In other news, United are closing in on the free transfer signing of goalkeeper Tom Heaton.
The Mirror report Heaton has agreed to sign once his contract at Aston Villa expires.
The Telegraph previously claimed Heaton was ‘close’ to agreeing a move.
He left United on a free transfer in 2010, to the annoyance of Sir Alex Ferguson.
Heaton, 35, will be a third choice, with Sergio Romero and Lee Grant set to leave, and he could be a second choice if either David de Gea or Dean Henderson depart in the summer.
- Bruno Fernandes and Diogo Dalot send messages to Manchester United fans after defeat
- Solskjaer addresses Anthony Martial’s performance
- Manchester United’s three best players against West Ham
- Five things we learned as Manchester United lose 1-0 to West Ham
- Confirmed Manchester United line-up v West Ham
- Henderson reportedly set for first United start of the season vs West Ham
- Which Eric Bailly will we see on his first United appearance of the season?
- Charlie Savage tries claiming deflected own goal and his teammates are not having it
- Ex United duo Falcao and Bebe combine to net late winner for La Liga side
- Teden Mengi produces captain’s performance in EFL Trophy win