Manchester United’s form is in a bad place right now. Many of the players’ form in the team is trending downwards.
Luke Shaw is a little different. He hit rock bottom in the 6-1 defeat to Tottenham.
With his place under pressure from new signing Alex Telles, who was unavailable for this latest game, Shaw’s form has begun to improve.
Shaw provided United’s only goal against Istanbul Basaksehir in the 2-1 defeat.
He delivered a cross Telles would have been proud of, for Anthony Martial unmarked to head into the bottom corner of the net.
This was Shaw’s first assist of the season, and it was the type of impact United have been calling for the full-backs to make.
Shaw never gave up and kept on going, even if he was unable to have the same type of impact in the second half.
He did manage to create three chances in total, more than any other player.
No United teammate made more than one key pass, with Bruno Fernandes registering zero.
Shaw touched the ball 118 times in total, more than any other United player apart from Nemanja Matic. He completed a solid 86 per cent of his passes.
The left-back also won three tackles – the highest in the United team, and two interceptions, joint highest with Harry Maguire.
Shaw’s place remains at risk
Shaw is performing as well as he can. United will still ask him to drop out over the next month once Alex Telles is fit again.
Telles has the potential to take United to a new level with his attacking ability from left-back.
At least though, Shaw is not giving up without a fight, and he is showing some character.
United need players like this at a moment when physically and mentally, there is a huge amount of pressure.
- Five things we learned as Manchester United lose to Sheffield United
- Manchester United pick attack heavy team to face Sheffield United
- Former United star Shinji Kagawa finds new club in Greece
- Solskjaer is ready to build his plans around Amad Diallo
- Who is reported Manchester United target Christoph Baumgartner?
- Odion Ighalo did exactly what he set out to do
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Sheffield United
- Looking back at Anthony Martial’s hat-trick against Sheffield United
- Marcos Rojo has three offers from clubs as he reportedly negotiates United pay-off