Luke Shaw has become a much improved player over the past 12 months and sits third in Manchester United’s chart for assists.
Shaw has six so far this season, behind only Marcus Rashford and Bruno Fernandes.
While Paul Pogba has now caught Shaw up on six assists, it was not through a lack of effort on the left-back’s part.
Shaw created more chances than any other player in Manchester United’s 3-1 win over Burnley.
Top creative star
Shaw created six chances in the win over Burnley. The rest of the team created nine combined.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Marcus Rashford each made two key passes, with Fred, Scott McTominay, Paul Pogba, Donny van de Beek, and Mason Greenwood each with one.
This was a rare day where Bruno Fernandes did not register a ‘chance created’ in statistical terms. However, his dummy for Mason Greenwood’s first goal took three defenders out of the game and like Van de Beek’s against Leicester, was a piece of artistry which should have really counted towards his team leading assist tally.
Shaw registered a 90 per cent pass completion rate, making 73 touches in total.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka saw more of the ball on the right, with 114 touches, but did not have the same level of incisiveness as Shaw.
Shaw has been excellent this season and he is not letting up. It would be easy for him to rest on his laurels but he clearly has no intent to do so, and that’s great for United.
He can’t afford to ease up either, with a quality player like Alex Telles pushing for his spot.
Shaw may have solidified himself as first choice with his performances, but he knows if his form drops, he will lose his place.
That’s why it is so encouraging to see him continue to push on. Six key passes in one game is just two shy of Bruno Fernandes’ personal best of eight.
If he keeps on creating chances at this rate, he will soon be catching Rashford and Fernandes up.
- Could Jadon Sancho end up as Paul Pogba’s replacement?
- Tom Heaton to United would bring his free agent exit full circle after angering Fergie
- Three reasons Manchester United should play Hannibal against Fulham
- Every trophy won by Manchester United
- Manchester United fans are the best, says Solskjaer, as he hopes for lift from crowd return
- Solskjaer says Martial and James not ready to start v Fulham
- Villarreal striker Moreno scores 29th goal of the season ahead of United clash
- Manchester United target Sven Botman produces man of the match performance for Lille
- Dan James returns to Manchester United training
- Who is reported Manchester United target Mauro Arambarri?