Manchester United fans react to Juan Mata's performance
Juan Mata was totally ineffective in Manchester United’s defeat at Newcastle United.
He was far from the only under performer in the 1-0 defeat, with Fred also particularly poor.
Mata was substituted in the 65th minute for Mason Greenwood and it was only a surprise that it took so long to make the change.
For the second consecutive game, Mata failed to create a single goalscoring chance, or attempt a shot at goal.
He is playing it too safe, with his 90 per cent pass completion rate helping nobody. Mata simply is not the player he once was, and has not been for quite a while now.
There is a reason why he normally can’t even get Jesse Lingard out of the team, who has also been poor, and missed the match with an injury.
Fans were not kind about Mata’s performance, and deservedly so…
More is expected
Opinion was very split when United handed Mata a new deal in the summer.
His performances have not backed up the decision to renew his contract instead of just letting it expire.
As one of the senior players, expectations are higher, and he is not producing.
He has no goals or assists in seven appearances this season in all competition, which includes four starts.
Mata looks more replaceable than ever right now and starting him against Liverpool in the next game would be a big mistake.
- 'Like a shark'… Erik ten Hag raved about £70m player Manchester United are set to sign
- 'Agreement is there': Director says 22-year-old's move to Manchester United could be 'imminent'
- Two-time international who made debut under Rangnick signs new long-term Manchester United contract
- Erik ten Hag has brought the good feeling back to Manchester United already
- Manchester United said to have walked away from transfer move