Josh King will be desperate to impress against Manchester United after January bid
A lot has happened since the January transfer window. But rewind a few months and it looked like Josh King was heading to Manchester United in a deadline day surprise.
Instead, another forward headed to Old Trafford in the form of Odion Ighalo. And United fans are not complaining after the Nigerian bagged five goals in just four starts.
King remained at Bournemouth after the Cherries reportedly rejected a £20million bid from United (Daily Mail). And this weekend the Norwegian has the chance to show Ole Gunnar Solskjaer what he missed out on.
The United boss will be happy with how things panned out. After all, his side are on a 15-match unbeaten run and they are scoring goals for fun. Igahlo’s loan deal has been extended until January 2021 and Bruno Fernandes has hit the ground running.
But King has a good record when coming up against his former side. And this weekend’s match will allow the 28-year-old to channel any remaining frustration over his failed move.
What could have been
King spoke to the Manchester Evening News about United’s January offer and his feelings on the day earlier this year. He took the whole situation in his stride but he will surely be wondering what might have been.
He only needs to look a Ighalo – and United’s resurgent form – to see that a move would have changed everything.
Not that Bournemouth will be complaining. They are fighting a relegation battle and will be desperate for King to score against United. A win against the league’s form side would be a welcome tonic. It would also help in a battle that looks like going to the wire.
King knows Old Trafford well from his time there as a youngster. This weekend he will be desperate to impress a boss that wanted him in January and another delighted that he stayed.
So far this season, he has only scored four goals in 21 league games. But a potential audition in front of a former suitor could make all the difference.
- 'Really good': Erik ten Hag says he has been impressed by 'high potential' Manchester United player in training
- 7 Manchester United players could make first appearance against Manchester City for Red Devils
- Pep Guardiola hails 'incredible' Manchester United player as well as 4 Red Devils midfielders
- Ten Hag press conference: Manchester United star doing 'really well' in training, could come into team vs City
- 4-3-3: Manchester United's strongest XI on FIFA 23, top scorer and two Ten Hag favourites miss out
- 'Technical ability is frightening': Teammate raves about player Manchester United let go this summer
- 'It was ready'… Manchester United star visited Real Madrid ahead of potential transfer, says former agent
- Manchester United star has already proved he was right to snub £17m City move, now he must show them
- Manchester United star thrilled to win award he did not know existed