A lot has happened since the January transfer window. But rewind a few months and it looked like Josh King was heading to Manchester United in a deadline day surprise.
Instead, another forward headed to Old Trafford in the form of Odion Ighalo. And United fans are not complaining after the Nigerian bagged five goals in just four starts.
King remained at Bournemouth after the Cherries reportedly rejected a £20million bid from United (Daily Mail). And this weekend the Norwegian has the chance to show Ole Gunnar Solskjaer what he missed out on.
The United boss will be happy with how things panned out. After all, his side are on a 15-match unbeaten run and they are scoring goals for fun. Igahlo’s loan deal has been extended until January 2021 and Bruno Fernandes has hit the ground running.
But King has a good record when coming up against his former side. And this weekend’s match will allow the 28-year-old to channel any remaining frustration over his failed move.
What could have been
King spoke to the Manchester Evening News about United’s January offer and his feelings on the day earlier this year. He took the whole situation in his stride but he will surely be wondering what might have been.
He only needs to look a Ighalo – and United’s resurgent form – to see that a move would have changed everything.
Not that Bournemouth will be complaining. They are fighting a relegation battle and will be desperate for King to score against United. A win against the league’s form side would be a welcome tonic. It would also help in a battle that looks like going to the wire.
King knows Old Trafford well from his time there as a youngster. This weekend he will be desperate to impress a boss that wanted him in January and another delighted that he stayed.
So far this season, he has only scored four goals in 21 league games. But a potential audition in front of a former suitor could make all the difference.
- Why it is only a matter of time before Cristiano Ronaldo is offered to United
- Stevanovic indicates Manchester United move is happening
- Predicted Manchester United XI v Sevilla
- Who is reported Manchester United target Filip Stevanovic
- Have United made an expensive miscalculation over Sancho?
- Europa League glory would be pivotal for United
- Mason Greenwood sends message to James Garner
- Luca Ercolani makes comeback for under-23s one year after ACL tear
- Rumoured Pereira and Garner exits make it important United sign new midfielder