Manchester United have not been able to get the Jadon Sancho deal over the line before Euro 2020 began.
This may or may not slow things down, we shall see, but it does mean Sancho’s mind is now a little pre-occupied.
The Borussia Dortmund and England winger made this clear with an Instagram post saying he is now all fired up – showing his focus is turning to England.
There could be an extra reason why Sancho is relaxed and focused on England – because his camp reportedly believe the switch to United is all but agreed.
Bundesliga insider Jan Aage Fjortoft claimed on Friday that Sancho’s camp feel the move is a ‘done deal’.
This is certainly at a closer stage than it ever was in the summer of 2020 and the deal just needs a final agreement of details between clubs.
The way the move has progressed over the past week allows Sancho to relax and focus on England, with confidence he will land his dream move to United.
Ballon d’Or delay
One of the details which must be ironed out between clubs is United’s insistence on a Ballon d’Or clause in the transfer price report The Athletic.
This would mean Dortmund would receive £5 million if Sancho won the prize, and no bonus if he does not.
While he has the potential to win it, the award has largely been dominated by two players for the past decade.
United were successful in including the clause in the 2015 deal for Anthony Martial. It has become a staple Ed Woodward negotiating tactic since, usually without success.
Dortmund reportedly want more achievable bonuses relating to appearances and silverware.
It is these details which are holding up the negotiations and potentially the two clubs should see reason and come together on an agreement.
England’s first game of Euro 2020 is on Sunday and then there is a gap before the next game the following Friday.
There may be time for Sancho to squeeze in a medical between Monday and Wednesday is required, and it won’t be a logistical problem because England’s training camp is in the UK.
This is all dependent on talks progressing between the two clubs this weekend.
For now Sancho’s focus is on helping England to victory over Croatia on Sunday.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad
- Sergio Ramos and Marcelo congratulate Raphael Varane on Manchester United move
- Manchester United friendly at Preston cancelled
- Rafael criticises Glazers’ failure to communicate with United fans
- Raphael Varane’s last appearance at Old Trafford was a painful one for Manchester United
- Who is reported incoming Manchester United youth addition Ethan Ennis?