Harry Maguire’s outstanding performances at Euro 2020 saw him named in the UEFA Team of the Tournament.
Maguire played a key role in helping England reach the final, losing only on penalties.
A statistic brought to light by Opta’s research department shows Maguire set a European Championships record at the tournament.
Maguire won a higher percentage of aerial duels than any player to compete in 25 or more, since European Championship statistical records began 31 years ago in 1980.
A colossus at both ends
Maguire was a defensive powerhouse repelling aerial attacks, while also winning headers repeatedly in the opposition box. This led to his goal against Ukraine in the quarter-finals.
Last season for United in the Premier League, Maguire won 77.5 per cent of his aerial duels. This was the best in the team. Nemanja Matic won 70 per cent and Victor Lindelof 65 per cent.
While a far smaller sample size, Maguire raised his game even higher at the Euros.
The centre-back looked every part the £80 million player United paid for two years ago.
He also showed he can take an impressive penalty, firing in his shootout spotkick straight into the top corner, taking out a camera in the process.
Maguire is now getting a well deserved break, but if there is one thing you can guarantee, it is that he will be back in United’s starting line-up for the Premier League kick off on August 14.
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants ‘complete’ midfielders in his United side
- Cavani not ready for West Ham clash but will hopefully return next week
- Recent United target Eduardo Camavinga makes flying start at Madrid
- West Ham’s Croatia trip gives Manchester United a rare advantage
- Patrice Evra reacts to reports Cristiano Ronaldo moved home due to ‘noisy sheep’
- How will James Garner be affected by Nottingham Forest sacking Hughton?
- Raphael Varane’s freakishly unlucky Champions League opening game record
- Manchester United’s ‘What If…?’ moment: Jude Bellingham would have completed Red Devils team
- German press react to Jadon Sancho’s slow start at Manchester United