Harry Maguire sends injury update to Manchester United fans
Harry Maguire was forced off injured in Manchester United’s 3-1 win away at Aston Villa.
It was a rare sight to see Maguire unable to play 90 minutes in the league. This was the first time it had happened since he joined United.
While he was taken off as a precaution, he needs to be assessed and given time to recover.
Maguire sent a message to supporters via his Instagram page, saying he hopes it is not serious.
United will have to cope without Maguire this week
Maguire was replaced by Eric Bailly who helped United to see the game out.
Axel Tuanzebe was also on the bench, and it is likely both players will start on Tuesday against Leicester City, with Victor Lindelof being rested. This was likely already United’s plan, with a packed fixture schedule.
It is preferable United would not even risk Maguire against Liverpool on Thursday, but this would create a problem as it would require Bailly or Tuanzebe to play twice in three days, and neither player have strong injury records.
Alternatives like Nemanja Matic or Scott McTominay playing centre-back could be considered, but given Tuanzebe’s lack of regular football, he will probably be desperate to play twice in three days if given the chance, providing he can hold up.
United’s top priority is having Maguire fit for the Europa League final.
The team have now secured a top four finish for the second successive season.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer told United’s website: “We’ve got to check it. It might be a few weeks, might be a couple of days – who knows. I’m not a doctor and we’ve got to check him and scan him tomorrow.”
“It was his ankle, lower leg. I think the boy landed on top of him. So he twisted his ankle and got a knock.”
- Manchester United star skins Arsenal man with outrageous piece of skill in World Cup training session
- Manchester United ace names Cristiano Ronaldo in five-a-side team alongside 3 England internationals
- Denmark's media react to Christian Eriksen performance in World Cup defeat to Australia
- 'Lightning quick'… England star raves about 'really special' Manchester United ace
- Economic Maguire: Manchester United defender hilariously mocked in Ghanaian parliament
- 'Like he's not there': Manchester United star criticised by pundit after shock World Cup defeat
- Why Christian Eriksen wears Manchester United's number 14 shirt
- ‘Big man’… Nemanja Matic sends message to Manchester United star
- 21 conclusions from Manchester United's season so far – including Ten Hag verdict
- Ten Hag's smart move over United stars pays off, amid claim £99.2m move fuelled Juventus crisis