Manchester United captain Harry Maguire was full of praise for the performance of Scott McTominay against Leeds.
The Scotland international grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and put United 2-0 up within three minutes.
It was the quickest double in Premier League history and speaking to the club’s official website, Maguire said it was one of the best midfield displays he’s ever seen.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer gave McTominay a rest at Sheffield United the game before and it paid off with a performance on Sunday which was full of energy and desire.
You’ve seen in recent months how we’ve been relying on the forward lads in Rash (Marcus Rashford) and Bruno (Fernandes),” said Maguire.
o for Scott to score was great. He was magnificent – one of the best performances I’ve seen and played with on the pitch from a central midfielder.
He deserved his two goals and it’s nice for Victor (Lindelof) to get on the scoresheet as well, it’s something we’ve worked on – a great touch from Anto (Anthony Martial) at the front post.“
Sunday’s game was huge for Leeds but United showed they were up for the fight within seconds of kick-off and McTominay was central to everything that was good about the performance.
McTominay has been used as a central defender in a back three for Scotland and primarily anchors United’s midfield.
But he showed a different side to his game on Sunday, one that it would be great to see more often when the game allows for it.
Maguire also mentioned the importance of sharing the goals around and McTominay is a player who can chip in, either with his head at corners, shooting from outside the box or making that third man run into the area.
He deserves the high praise from Maguire, but consistency will be the key over the busy Christmas period.
- Manchester United’s Dan James will be hoping for another moment of magic against Chelsea
- Amad Diallo showed a new side to his game against Real Sociedad
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Chelsea
- Who is reported United target Gleison Bremer?
- Eric Bailly says Sergio Ramos is his idol
- Solskjaer says Martial is working very hard to improve
- Can Diogo Dalot play against Manchester United in the Europa League?
- 2 positives and 1 negative from Manchester United drawing Milan
- Manchester United fans react to Nemanja Matic’s performance
- Solskjaer praises Shoretire as Whiteside reacts to him breaking his record