Harry Maguire and Bruno Fernandes send messages to fans after heavy defeat
Manchester United’s players like most, are quick to send messages on social media celebrating after big wins.
Communication has to work both ways too, and fronting up after a terrible performance is important.
United were hammered 6-1 at home by Tottenham after putting in a shamblolic performance.
Harry Maguire was awful defensively and the club captain played well below the standard required of him.
The 27-year-old sent a message out on social media after the loss, admitting the performance and result was ‘totally unacceptable’.
Maguire was culpable for Tottenham’s first goal and could also have prevented Spurs taking the free-kick quickly for the second.
His performances in the first three league games to start the season have not been good enough.
David de Gea also sent a message out, to say he and the team feel as deflated as the fans.
Attacking midfielder Bruno Fernandes scored United’s goal from the penalty spot after just one minute.
He found himself substituted at half-time as United made changes due to the red card to Anthony Martial.
Fernandes said ‘we apologise’ and called this a time for reflection among the players.
Many of United’s players are now heading off on the international break, Fernandes, Maguire and De Gea included.
This provides at least a chance for them to clear their heads and not dwell in some of the negativity after such a big defeat.
They will all need to come back fitter and mentally stronger, ready to kick on for a crucial stretch of fixtures.
- 'Unmistakable threat'… Manchester United star praised as his country's 'standout player' at World Cup
- 'Speaks volumes': Bryan Robson praises Manchester United star for 'dominant' World Cup display
- 'Beautiful to see': Manchester United star delighted to see reported 23-year-old Ten Hag target score on World Cup debut
- Report: Bruno Fernandes and Lisandro Martinez helping youngster try and hit lift off on Manchester United career
- 'Spectacular' Manchester United target wows Red Devils star with influential World Cup display
- 'Keep with me forever': Marcus Rashford pays heartfelt tribute to Cristiano Ronaldo following Manchester United exit
- Manchester United have scouted £43m-valued 'fantastic' striker who Owen Hargreaves loves several times
- Gary Neville gives his verdict on how he thinks Erik ten Hag will replace Cristiano Ronaldo at Manchester United
- Manchester United star injures player who made 14 appearances under Ten Hag in World Cup training session