Haaland has shown why Manchester United need to sign Sancho as a priority
Jadon Sancho or Erling Haaland? This is the tricky decision for Manchester United this summer.
Of course we may end up with neither. Ed Woodward has a track record here, and has failed to land both players before. But at the very least, United need to decide which one to prioritise.
Haaland has 33 goals for the season and would improve any team. And yet, without Jadon Sancho in recent matches, he has begun to tail off.
Sancho got injured at the end of February. Haaland has found scoring goals a little trickier without the winger.
In seven games without Sancho in the Bundesliga and Champions League, Haaland has failed to score in five of them.
These included the two Champions League quarter-finals against Manchester City, in which Haaland drew a blank on both occasions.
Perhaps there are other factors behind his form. Mino Raiola’s tour of Spain to meet with prospective buyers could quite easily have proved an unnecessary mid-season distraction for the striker.
Sancho is likely a bigger factor, with the English winger a big miss for Dortmund in recent weeks.
Dortmund have won just two of the last seven matches, which has left dumped out of the Champions League, and sitting fifth in the Bundesliga, seven points behind the top four.
Haaland also failed to score in his three international matches over the break, where needless to say, he did not have Sancho with him.
Add these together and Haaland has netted in just two of 10 games for club and country he has played without Sancho alongside him.
United need a creative player
United can find a finisher, whether it be Haaland or somebody else. Finding another Jadon Sancho is not so easy.
And a player like Haaland is only as good as the service he receives.
Edinson Cavani showed against Tottenham he is an elite finisher when given service.
And he demonstrated in his three previous starts against West Brom, Crystal Palace, and Brighton, that he cannot make an impact if he is not supplied with chances.
Haaland could fall into the same trap at United, with the wing positions still unsolved.
Sancho is potentially the easier player of the pair to sign too, with Dortmund lucky to hold onto him last summer.
Sancho’s injury has highlighted how important he is, and should have given United a clue that he needs to be the priority signing this summer.
Either Sancho or Haaland would do, in honesty, but it could be that the England winger is the better fit for what this United team need right now.
Neither Amad or Mason Greenwood are ready to take sole responsibility of the right wing position and start 50 games per season.
This is a role which needs to be shared, and with Sancho signed, Greenwood can shift to centre-forward and thrive off the winger’s service.
- Manchester United now have an easy decision to make over £19m star
- Manchester United star doubles down on reason for his superb turnaround in form
- Real Madrid star says Manchester United summer signing “has a lot of quality”
- Rio Ferdinand claims in-form Manchester United man better suited to international football than Premier League
- £46m Manchester United star says he is feeling confident ahead of the World Cup
- 21 direct goal involvements in last 14 games : 23-year-old Manchester United target shines on international stage
- International boss explains why he trialled Manchester United ace in new position and gives verdict on display
- Ralf Rangnick relegated as Austria slump to third defeat in a row
- 'No chance': Manchester United star gutted after 4-1 loss and desperate to avoid relegation
- Barcelona sporting director says Manchester United have made a very good decision