Glazers hold crisis talks as Conte to Manchester United claims grow stronger
Manchester United owners the Glazers have been holding ‘crisis talks’, report The Mail.
United’s 5-0 loss to Liverpool has underscored a feeling that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has taken the club as far as he can.
United sit in seventh place, closer in points to 17th than first. It feels like history is repeating itself from when Jose Mourinho was fired in 2018.
The Mail report the shock of the embarrassing defeat is ‘reverberating around the club’.
The Glazers have reportedly held crisis talks with outgoing chief executive Ed Woodward, and his expected replacement Richard Arnold.
A firm decision one way or the other on Solskjaer is yet to be taken. But it increasingly feels like he is destined for the sack.
Conte frontrunner to replace Solskjaer
Antonio Conte seems like the antithesis of Solskjaer. He has a reputation as a short-term manager who clashes with his superiors.
Importantly, Conte is a winner. He has won titles with three clubs, Juventus, Chelsea and Inter Milan, and he is currently available.
Sky Sport Italia reporter Angelo Mangiante claims it is ‘just a matter of time’, before Conte takes over at United.
Under the Solskjaer era, United have resisted everything Conte has stood for.
Now with Solskjaer failing, Conte is appearing to be a choice the club are prepared to consider again.
United need a proven manager right now. The supporters want a winner.
How many more years will another rebuild take? Solskjaer has effectively done the rebuild, or large parts of it save for the lack of options in midfield, but he has given his successor a better squad than the one he inherited.
Now the next step must be taken by a manager who can win the title, this year or next, if Solskjaer has not left too much to do.
That’s why it’s important United don’t delay and lose further ground. Conte has shown he can win the league with Chelsea and is seemingly keen for a fresh challenge.
- 21-year-old Manchester United loanee wins fans player of the year
- New United boss Ten Hag picks out the one Ajax player he is 'extremely grateful' for
- 15-year-old whizkid Manchester United signed from Arsenal makes first under-18s start
- 'I am not going': Erik ten Hag makes vow Manchester United fans will love, set to avoid Van Gaal error
- 'Disaster'… Manchester United loanee criticised after yet another injury
- Portugal international waiting on offer from Manchester United as Barcelona make move
- Manchester United eye cut-price move for £32m Champions League winner to partner De Jong
- 17-goal wonderkid, La Masia graduate: 3 FA Youth Cup winners Man Utd should loan out this summer
- Erik ten Hag's first five signings as Ajax manager including two former Premier League stars
- Five players Manchester United had very lucky escapes on including '£50m-valued midfielder'
- Long-serving Manchester United academy coach set to leave as behind the scenes changes continue