Joel Glazer held his first fan forum with Manchester United supporters on Friday.
There were several topics discussed, with Glazer pledging investment into the team.
He also said he would start work on planning for stadium and training ground improvements, stating, “We will now accelerate the process of planning much more significant investment and upgrades.”
The Glazers are also planning to introduce a fan share scheme and are consulting with the Manchester United Supporters’ Trust (MUST) about this.
What the Glazers did not do was come up with a plan to reduce the club’s colossal debt, and they and they intend to continue taking dividends.
Former United star Gary Neville has given his verdict, and he believs the forum was a missed opportunity.
Neville feels like the debt should have been the top issue of discussion, and the Glazers could have secured some goodwill by deciding to forego divident payments.
He also called for a figure to be set as a minimum to invest in the team, and said that he viewed the meeting as a missed opportunity to present new training ground and stadium ground plans.
What matters most is what comes next
It has been 16 years and this is the first time the Glazers have communicated with supporters in this manner. It’s a start.
But as Neville points out, it could have been a lot better. And some fans simply don’t care what they have to say, they just want them gone.
With the club’s debt continuing to pile up, everything else seems like window dressing.
The Glazers do not have the trust of supporters, and while some of these pledges seem well-intended, we wait and see whether they can deliver all of them.
- Cristiano Ronaldo pictured back in Manchester United training
- Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants ‘complete’ midfielders in his United side
- Cavani not ready for West Ham clash but will hopefully return next week
- Recent United target Eduardo Camavinga makes flying start at Madrid
- West Ham’s Croatia trip gives Manchester United a rare advantage
- Patrice Evra reacts to reports Cristiano Ronaldo moved home due to ‘noisy sheep’
- How will James Garner be affected by Nottingham Forest sacking Hughton?
- Raphael Varane’s freakishly unlucky Champions League opening game record
- Manchester United’s ‘What If…?’ moment: Jude Bellingham would have completed Red Devils team
- German press react to Jadon Sancho’s slow start at Manchester United