Waiting for Fred to score a goal feels often like waiting for a day which will never come.
The Brazilian showed he is capable of getting on the scoresheet, by netting in Manchester United’s terrific victory over Tottenham.
Fred scored United’s equaliser, stepping up at a perfect time, with the team a goal down from the first half.
The goal was a close range strike, as he was first to react to a rebound, credit to him for being in such an advanced position to take advantage.
He sent a message to fans after the game…
Fred last scored a goal in the Premier League when Jose Mourinho was in charge, against Wolves in 2018.
He scored two in a Europa League game against Club Brugge last February, and none have come since.
This strike came just when United needed it, with the team a goal down amid a sense of injustice after an earlier disallowed strike.
This goal will lift his spirits, showing he can be an asset to the side. United went on to win the game 3-1.
Fred was deservedly criticised after giving the ball away for a goal in the FA Cup loss to Leicester, and so he should get credit for his game changing contribution to this positive result.
- Luke Shaw is the strongest player in the England squad, says Three Lions teammate
- Paul Pogba blames the heat for France’s disappointing Euro 2020 performance against Hungary
- Academy talent Johan Guadagno doing extra training in off-season
- Dan James helps Wales reach last 16 at Euro 2020
- PSG pushing to beat Manchester United in Varane race