Four reasons short-term Lindelof injury can be a positive for Manchester United
Victor Lindelof limped off injured for Manchester United against Leicester.
Losing the Swede is a blow, and not a terribly surprising one. He has been dealing with a back injury since October without rest and told PA a week ago he was still playing through the pain barrier.
United have no need to panic, however, providing this is not a long term injury.
A short term injury to Lindelof of around a month might actually be a positive for United.
Amid this packed schedule, the only way Lindelof would get a proper rest would be to aggravate his ongoing injury or pick up a new one.
Solskjaer is reluctant to leave him out of the line up when fit, so this is the way for Lindelof to rest up and finally – hopefully – fix his ongoing issue.
When he returns he will be fresh and hopefully even better than before.
Tuanzebe and Bailly
Fortunately United have two ready made replacements with Axel Tuanzebe and Eric Bailly.
After their own injury problems both are fit and ready to contribute, but had been overlooked lately amid an over reliance on Harry Maguire and on Lindelof.
This is a great opportunity for both players to prove their worth, battle it out, and develop defensive chemistry with Maguire.
Young talent Teden Mengi has not had much of chance this season as the current fifth choice option.
An injury to Lindelof moves him up the pecking order slightly, with a chance of featuring in the FA Cup in a home game against Watford.
Even if only as a substitute, the teenager’s chances of featuring in this match are now increased.
Tuanzebe and Bailly have chances now, but that does not mean they will seize them.
Centre-back is an area where United can upgrade, and this could now become an even bigger priority.
United could even bring forward plans to sign an extra defender if Bailly or Tuanzebe struggle or suffer another injury themselves.
Ultimately if United are forced into taking this action, this will be a positive.
- Manchester United could sign 36 G/A attacking gem who is even better than £70m star
- 2 assists for Manchester United wonderkid on first ever competitive start on loan
- Report: Ralf Rangnick told Manchester United they 'must buy' powerhouse target compared to Virgil van Dijk
- Manchester United transfer target says he was a Liverpool supporter
- Report: Manchester United have advantage to sign £35m attacker thanks to Ten Hag's agents
- Champions League qualifier could have huge bearing on Manchester United's transfer business, says journalist
- Report: Manchester United offered former £60m Premier League striker who scored a hat-trick at the weekend
- Erik ten Hag holds phone call with top Manchester United transfer target, says journalist
- Report: Manchester United reignite interest in 24-year-old forward who scored against Reds last season