As Amad Diallo closes in on his move to Manchester United, another winger previously linked to Old Trafford is making a very different move.
Back in the summer the MEN claimed United were monitoring Schalke winger Rabbi Matondo.
He was touted as a developmental option who United may take a punt on if there was no big deal for Jadon Sancho. United did take this approach, but went for Diallo instead of Matondo.
So what became of Matondo? Well, it has not helped that he is part of one of the worst teams in recent Bundesliga history. Schalke have zero wins from 14 games to start the season.
He has been sent out on loan to Stoke City, The Mail report, with the winger flying in and set to finalise a deal until the end of the season.
Never cut out for United?
We wrote back in the summer that a move to Manchester United was just too much too soon for Matondo.
He left City’s academy to try his luck in the Bundesliga like Sancho. His success has been very limited.
Last season Matondo scored two goals in 20 appearances. This season he has played in just three games, with no goals and no assists.
While a lack of opportunities is reason for a lack of production, it speaks for itself that Schalke don’t see him as able to improve their relegation-bound side right now.
At 20-years-old, Matondo can still improve and a loan at Stoke will be to his benefit. It also more accurately depicts where he should be right now.
United have Diallo to get excited about, and in this instance, it very much appears as though the Red Devils made the right call.
- Manchester United linked to five-times league winner with 50 international caps
- Casemiro sends message to Manchester United fans
- Italian press reaction to Rasmus Hojlund performance shows why Manchester United are interested
- Manchester United star showed at Wembley why £55m star is priority for Erik ten Hag
- Romano says Manchester United loanee has undergone medical ahead of summer switch elsewhere
- Manchester United’s £20m target warned Old Trafford move will come ‘too early’
- Manchester United to miss out as striker agrees bargain £25m transfer
- Manchester United ‘intensify’ talks with £35m ace after agent confirms interest
- £65m ace responds when asked if he’s joining Manchester United