After a heavy defeat at Goodison Park last season, a 1-1 draw was an improvement. But this was a game we could have won.
Fortunately United’s players were not talking up the result as progress, instead expressing their frustration that we failed to get all three points.
Key men Harry Maguire and Bruno Fernandes – both named in our ‘three best players against Everton’ piece – sent messages to supporters on social media after the game.
Each of them expressed disappointment at coming away with only one point as opposed to three.
While Fernandes scored United’s goal, his first from open play for the club, he had a late effort saved and will be playing that chance over in his mind.
He spoke to the club website, adding: “I had some shots outside the box and I can do much better.”
His high standards show why he is a good addition to the team and has given the dressing room a lift.
He was named United’s man of the match against the Toffees while Maguire, and Nemanja Matic, each had strong cases themselves.
Fernandes is rightly already looking ahead to the next game, against Derby on Thursday night. There is a strong case though that he won’t be involved, and will be rested for the Manchester derby at the weekend.
There was no message, notably, from David de Gea, after his early error put United up against it.
- Dalot says he is loving playing alongside two 'high-quality' Manchester United players
- 3 Manchester United talents who could follow Elanga into first team this season
- Manchester United star overtakes Cristiano Ronaldo for goal contributions in 2021/22
- Next Elanga? Manchester United to take Swedish wonderkid on trial
- Refreshed Manchester United star can relaunch his season and show he's back