Facundo Pellistri is beginning to settle in at Manchester United.
He played his second under-23 game in a week on Sunday against Tottenham, his third appearance in total since joining.
This was Pellistri’s best performance to date as United battled to a 4-2 win.
Pellistri got United on the move. He whipped in a perfectly judged cross for Shola Shoretire to score a header and put the team 1-0.
What made Pellistri’s cross so good was the work before the delivery.
Lined up with an opponent one v one, he quickly shifted the ball between his feet to create space, and then curled the ball into the box.
Pellistri’s cross was right into the danger area and at the perfect height for a forward to attack.
The fact it was diminutive 16-year-old Shola Shoretire who was able to head the ball into the net, said everything about the quality of the delivery.
Pellistri had a couple more crosses in the first half which looked dangerous. It was good to see his positive intent.
He even had a part in United’s second goal. It was Pellistri’s run forward and pass which played in Shola Shoretire, who found Arnau Puigmal in space to score.
The Uruguayan also showed a willingness to track back and win the ball back in his own half. And as the game reached the latter stages, he was still trying to make things happen.
United have signed a player who can cross
Pellistri is adapting to English football and has work to do before he gets considered for the first team.
But this was really good to see. Pellistri’s ability came to the fore, and he showed his ability to do damage in the final third.
The youngster showed he can cross, and that is an important quality for a winger.
It sounds so obvious, but United have lacked players like this in recent years.
It possible we could see Pellistri whipping in crosses for compatriot Edinson Cavani later this season or next.
For under £10 million, Pellistri was worth taking a punt on. His performance on Sunday gave the first real indication why the club are hopeful he can go onto become a top star.
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Liverpool
- Solskjaer praises development of full backs Shaw and Wan-Bissaka
- Solskjaer has reportedly rejected loan bids for van de Beek, Tuanzebe and Williams
- Cavani is finally bringing success to Manchester United’s number 7 shirt
- Loan for Facundo Pellistri can work if it fast-tracks his United success
- Fred’s late battling shows why he is so important to United
- Mark Lawrenson is expecting Manchester United to beat Liverpool
- Amad Diallo’s Manchester United debut is looking more and more likely
- Three Portugal based players Manchester United should be monitoring
- Manchester United said to be keen on Bayern youngster Jamal Musiala