Facundo Pellistri made his La Liga debut at the weekend and it was a harsh reality check for the task at hand.
His Deportivo Alaves were thrashed 4-0 by Real Sociedad, the same team Manchester United hammered 4-0 days earlier.
Pellistri came on in the 56th minute with the score at 2-0. He struggled to get into the game as Sociedad dominated.
In just over half an hour Pellistri managed only 10 touches. It was a tricky debut and it certainly did not go as he would have dreamed it might.
Nevertheless, this was a step forward for the Uruguayan. The game was Pellistri’s first ever competitive first team match in European football since his transfer to Manchester United from Penarol in October.
Pellistri, 19, chose to take the positives away from making his debut. He says he is looking forward to what comes next.
His message read: “To lift my head and think of what’s coming. Happy for my debut @deportivoalaves and @laliga. We’ll keep working. Thank you all for your messages of support – Keep going!”
What’s next for Pellistri?
Alaves’ next fixture is on Saturday against Osasuna, who are only just above them in the La Liga table. It should be more of an even game, and a better suited one for Pellistri to shine.
It won’t be easy for him, playing for a side with just six wins from 24 league games.
Pellistri’s task is to stay positive, and keep on picking up minutes to add to his experience.
United are not so interested in Alaves’ results, or Pellistri’s specific involvement in games, more his development as a player.
The coaching staff will want to see when he comes back to United in the summer, that he does so as a more well rounded and better player than when he left, with a view to potentially taking a step up next season.
- Edinson Cavani’s fitness problems are becoming a little concerning
- Charlie McNeill continues to make a name for himself with another winning goal
- Former United talent Largie Ramazani scores goal from his own half
- Paul Pogba and Edinson Cavani react to Manchester United win
- Dean Henderson has now kept five clean sheets in a row
- Fernandes sends message to Dalot after first league goal for Milan
- Mike Phelan reacts to United’s derby win
- United loanee Tahith Chong provides assist in Club Brugge win
- Harry Maguire raves about Luke Shaw’s performance
- Manchester United fans react to Anthony Martial’s performance