FA still looking to complete 2019/20 Youth Cup
Manchester United’s young players may yet have a chance of ending the 2019/20 season with silverware.
United’s under-18 team reached the FA Youth Cup semi-finals, which were one week away from being played in March before the season went into lockdown.
United were due to play Chelsea in the semi-finals, with Blackburn and Manchester City in other tie.
A date for the fixtures to be rescheduled has not yet been set, which raised the question of whether the competition will be abandoned without a winner for the 2019/20 season.
However, this is not the case, as the FA are still open to getting the ties played.
The FA told United In Focus: “We are currently still seeking to complete the 2019/20 FA Youth Cup providing it is feasible to do so.
“This position will remain under review.”
Manchester United’s FA Youth Cup run: 2019/20
- United 2-0 Lincoln City
- United 2-0 Norwich
- United 1-0 Leeds United
- United 2-1 Wigan Athletic
Youth competitions to resume this weekend
United’s under-18s are back in action this weekend, with a league fixture against Liverpool being played on Saturday.
With a schedule for the season now in place, it may be easier for the FA to find dates for the Youth Cup.
However many of the under-18s regulars are now playing under-23 football, with Teden Mengi, Charlie McCann and Hannibal Mejbri all stepping up, and impressing in the EFL Trophy this week.
All of them are expected to be eligible to play in the Youth Cup when it resumes.
United are looking to win the competition for the first time since 2011.
- Paul Pogba would be Manchester United's big loser if transfer deal for Champions League winner is sealed
- Ajax star backs Erik ten Hag for trophies at Manchester United in emotional message
- Paul Pogba drops cryptic 'see you soon' message to Paulo Dybala, who is set to leave Juventus
- Antony suggests he will be available if Erik ten Hag wants him in emotional Ajax video message, Timber comments
- Manchester United send message to Britain's first openly gay footballer since Justin Fashanu
- Report: Manchester United could sign prolific striker for just £51 million
- 5 clubs £40m valued Manchester United man could move to this summer
- Ten Hag issues young player warning after handing debuts to 22nd and 23rd academy players at Ajax
- Erik ten Hag responds when asked about potential Manchester United double deal