Manchester United’s young players may yet have a chance of ending the 2019/20 season with silverware.
United’s under-18 team reached the FA Youth Cup semi-finals, which were one week away from being played in March before the season went into lockdown.
United were due to play Chelsea in the semi-finals, with Blackburn and Manchester City in other tie.
A date for the fixtures to be rescheduled has not yet been set, which raised the question of whether the competition will be abandoned without a winner for the 2019/20 season.
However, this is not the case, as the FA are still open to getting the ties played.
The FA told United In Focus: “We are currently still seeking to complete the 2019/20 FA Youth Cup providing it is feasible to do so.
“This position will remain under review.”
Manchester United’s FA Youth Cup run: 2019/20
- United 2-0 Lincoln City
- United 2-0 Norwich
- United 1-0 Leeds United
- United 2-1 Wigan Athletic
Youth competitions to resume this weekend
United’s under-18s are back in action this weekend, with a league fixture against Liverpool being played on Saturday.
With a schedule for the season now in place, it may be easier for the FA to find dates for the Youth Cup.
However many of the under-18s regulars are now playing under-23 football, with Teden Mengi, Charlie McCann and Hannibal Mejbri all stepping up, and impressing in the EFL Trophy this week.
All of them are expected to be eligible to play in the Youth Cup when it resumes.
United are looking to win the competition for the first time since 2011.
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s record like against Chelsea?
- What channel is the Chelsea v Man Utd Premier League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Charlie McNeill continues hot streak despite U23s defeat
- Ralf Rangnick is the perfect man to hand over to an elite permanent United manager
- Who is Ronald Araujo and why is he being linked to Manchester United?
- Cavani issues fitness update ahead of United’s clash with Chelsea
- Josh King admits blocked Manchester United move was worst moment of his career
- Carrick says van de Beek is capable of playing as a false nine
- Rangnick tipped to have same impact at United like Tuchel did at Chelsea