Manchester United’s young players may yet have a chance of ending the 2019/20 season with silverware.
United’s under-18 team reached the FA Youth Cup semi-finals, which were one week away from being played in March before the season went into lockdown.
United were due to play Chelsea in the semi-finals, with Blackburn and Manchester City in other tie.
A date for the fixtures to be rescheduled has not yet been set, which raised the question of whether the competition will be abandoned without a winner for the 2019/20 season.
However, this is not the case, as the FA are still open to getting the ties played.
The FA told United In Focus: “We are currently still seeking to complete the 2019/20 FA Youth Cup providing it is feasible to do so.
“This position will remain under review.”
Manchester United’s FA Youth Cup run: 2019/20
- United 2-0 Lincoln City
- United 2-0 Norwich
- United 1-0 Leeds United
- United 2-1 Wigan Athletic
Youth competitions to resume this weekend
United’s under-18s are back in action this weekend, with a league fixture against Liverpool being played on Saturday.
With a schedule for the season now in place, it may be easier for the FA to find dates for the Youth Cup.
However many of the under-18s regulars are now playing under-23 football, with Teden Mengi, Charlie McCann and Hannibal Mejbri all stepping up, and impressing in the EFL Trophy this week.
All of them are expected to be eligible to play in the Youth Cup when it resumes.
United are looking to win the competition for the first time since 2011.
- Solskjaer offers update on Sergio Romero and Phil Jones
- Alejandro Garnacho scores first goals for United’s academy
- Diogo Dalot stars for Milan and United loan looks like a masterstroke already
- Four Manchester United selection dilemmas v Arsenal
- How to watch Manchester United in FA Youth Cup semi-final and final
- Solskjaer may have struck gold with new formation change
- Gary Neville impressed by Donny Van de Beek’s performance
- Manchester United linked with Ajax prodigy Ryan Gravenberch
- United loanee Andreas Pereira features for Lazio in Champions League draw