As promised by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer via the club website at the end of last week, Ethan Laird has joined up with Manchester United’s senior squad.
The young right-back was pictured at Carrington linking up with the rest of the first team, which includes some of his under-23 teammates who have also made the jump.
Laird had promised he was planning to make an impact on the first team.
Posting a message on social media in late June he pledged ‘Little reminder…I’m coming’, as he uploaded a video of his highlights from the past season.
Time to kick on
Laird hopes to make a similar impact to how Brandon Williams has at left-back, in the right-back role.
It may take an unwelcome injury or two for this to happen, but Laird is at least in the mix.
He impressed on his debut for United in the Europa League against Astana, and then he came on as a substitute in the win over AZ Alkmaar at Old Trafford.
There is a queue in front of him at right-back, with Diogo Dalot already trying to push past first choice Aaron Wan-Bissaka.
Many supporters have high hopes for Laird and if he can stay injury free, he could push United into taking a decision over Dalot’s future.
Over the next few weeks he can start to show what he can do, and how he compares directly to his competitors.
There is an option that he will get game time in the Europa League in the dead rubber last 16 game against LASK. It is up to Laird now to earn that opportunity.
- Solskjaer switch to diamond offers Van de Beek hope
- Willy Kambwala makes impressive academy debut
- United will be impacted by Everton’s double suspension
- Manchester United loanee Levitt substituted off at half-time in Charlton win
- Manchester United now have an unpredictable approach which Solskjaer must master
- Manchester United tested switching Elanga’s position with encouraging results
- Bruno Fernandes at top of Premier League creative rankings
- Three players Manchester United should leave out of XI v RB Leipzig
- Brandon Williams looks like he may have switched to right-back