Emotional Bailly behind the scenes moment shows Diallo will be in good hands
Timothy Fosu-Mensah said his goodbyes to Manchester United this week ahead of his now confirmed move to Bayer Leverkusen.
The Dutchman released a video on his Snapchat behind the scenes of him saying goodbye to close friends and teammates Paul Pogba and Eric Bailly.
There was a long hug with Bailly and Fosu-Mensah, who clearly had a strong bond off the pitch.
Well if now Bailly has room for a new dressing room pal, this is the ideal time for Amad Diallo to arrive.
Both players hail from the Ivory Coast and the two have already been in touch ahead of Diallo’s move, with the player finally unveiled yesterday.
In a preview of Diallo’s first interview, the club website notes that the teenager ‘speaks enthusiastically about his fellow Ivorian, Eric Bailly, who has already been in contact with him this season’.
Diallo said in the interview: “Eric will be a definite reference point for me. I’ve actually already been in touch with him over the last few months and we’ve been chatting. I’ll be asking him for advice and will be listening to all he says.”
This is positive to hear and it sounds like Bailly is set to take Diallo under his wing and make sure he settles in, on and off the pitch.
United have made a considerable investment in young wonderkid Diallo, and ensuring he feels at home in Manchester is really important.
He is in good hands with Bailly, who has become of the team’s leaders in recent weeks and is clearly seen as an inspirational figure who commands respect from his teammates, due to both his quality and the way he has bounced back from a succession of injuries.
Bailly spoke to the club website last week about Diallo’s move. He said he wanted to pass on what it means to be a Manchester United player, just as others helped him back in 2016 when he joined from Villarreal.
He said: “
I know Amad. I speak with him. He’s a young player with good talents but we know it is important to keep calm with any new guys. I think he will do well but it important to keep calm with him.
“I am ready to help him. I’m ready to help every player. That, for me, is very important. When I came to this team, I had players with big experience. I remember [Wayne] Rooney, Ibra [Zlatan Ibrahimovic], Antonio Valencia. Players like this helped me when I came. So when young players come, it’s very important to help these guys.
“He’s a top man. I speak with him and speak with the family. Now the guy is very happy to sign for Manchester United.”
Diallo will train with the first team although his first action is likely to be with the under-23 side.
Bailly is a positive, larger than life character who shows his passion on and off the pitch while also being a consummate professional. United’s young talent will do well to listen to his advice.
The clip of him with Fosu-Mensah shows the bond he strikes up with those he is closest to. Diallo will be treated like a younger brother now he has arrived.
- Report: Manchester United reach agreement in principle to sign former Manchester City youngster
- Manchester United set to lose race to sign £55m wonderkid according to Romano
- 3 things we learned about Erik ten Hag from Manchester United’s opening game
- 'Leading option'… Manchester United make move for Juventus midfielder as De Jong alternative
- £31m Manchester United star has big part to play despite Ten Hag opening day snub
- Manchester United target said Red Devils star on 'another planet' and was criticised by Neville
- Laporta tells two Barcelona players to leave and makes Frenkie de Jong statement amid Manchester United reports
- 19 passes completed in 79 minutes: Manchester United star is simply not good enough
- 5 reasons Manchester United lost 2-1 to Brighton on opening day of the season
- Erik ten Hag picks out Manchester United star for praise after 2-1 defeat